Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help picking which one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgal, Oct 16, 2005.

1. bassgal

bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    HI all, I have not been here for long time and it is still a great place for info.

I have done a search on all the basses. Here is my problem. I have left shoulder and arm /ulnar nerver issues. I had to sell my Peavey Cirrus because the scale was just too long. Made my little finger go numb for starters. Do to a shoulder injury I have to hang the bass off my right shoulder. Or sit and play but even that makes my back and neck go numb at times. It was to much bass for my condition.

Bottom line is I bought a small short scale Hammer bass. ( 30 inch scale) It is VERY easy for me to play given my condition. But the bass sucks. I can't stand it anymore!

So here is the deal...

I know even a 34 scale is going to push it but that is what is out there.

I need skinny neck. Short fret spacing

And I can't spend over 500.00

Don't know if I need active or passive. I have a Berhinger V-tone pedal and an SWR Silvarodo amp. 2x12

I am guessing passive would be just fine from the passive vs active thread I just read.

Bottome line is where do I start?

I played the Schector C at guitar center the other day I was not "sold " on its Feel. THe neck felt a little wide. But I liked the looks and the sound was okay. ( I am being realistic for a 500.00 bass)

The Jumbo frets vs medium frets
    24 frets vs 22 frets. etc ( I am assuming that a 24 fret has smaller fret spacing?)

I have not been able to play a Yamaha yet. I need to find a dealer around here that has them.

Any suggestions on basses with the criteria above?

Or to narrow the model selection down a bit? I went to the Yamaha site and it was overwhelming. Or maybe I am just tired from surfing all night!

Thanks
    Staci

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Look for a used Fender Geddy Lee.

3. mikekim

mikekim

Mar 16, 2005
    CA
    Actually... no. Number of frets has nothing to do with scale.
    If I were you, I'd get a used Fender Stu Hamm Urge I. It's 32" but it will cost more than 500, I think. Look for it in ebay.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good suggestion, the only bad part about Geddys is that they are a bit on the heavy side. Great neck though.

Another good choice would be an Ibanez Soundgear. They come in a variety of price ranges, the higher end ones are very good basses, and other than the Geddy, they have the slimmest neck around. And they are lighter than the Geddy, too.

5. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  6. bassgal

bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    Thanks for your replies. I just looked at both suggestions of the Fenders.

Both the Stu Hamm and the Geddy Lee are 34 scales basses. At least on the google search I just did. The Geddy Lee is cheaper by a long shot. But still above my price range.

Believe me I WOULD LOVE to spend more on a bass. But I can't. I am not even sure if I will be able to play a 34 scale for very long. I have been through a few basses already.
    -Carvin LB70
    -Peavey Cirrus 4
    -Ibanez EGD ( 2 of them!) Necks felt good but both had dead spots on them. Several actually. Very easy to play though.

IF I spend that kind of money I am right back in the same boat I was just in. Too much bass for too much price. Seriously, I am lucky to make it thorugh practice and then 5 songs before my neck and back are seized up. And my left arm/hand are going numb.

I was hoping maybe there was something out there. I just was not aware of.

Is it possible to get a good Ibanez for 500.00?

I am just trying to find a way to keep playing with as little discomfort as possible.

Penny the mustang looks a lot like the Hammer I just bought. Is that a kids bass or something?

Thanks again,
    Staci

PS by the way does the radius have anything to do with playability? What is the diff between a 12 radius and a 10? I keep seeing that a lot.

7. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Ok, so I'm gonna suggest something completely different: a headless steinberger rip-off :cool:
    I used ot have one (Hohner I think) and although it was 34" it felt tiny in my not too big hands. Also It's super light weight, and the sound wasn't bad (the active version).
    I'm not familiar with the Gibson-steinbergers, but I know there are a lot of Hohners out there. And for a couple 100 bucks, I think one would work for you.
    If you get some more money in the future, why not look into Matt Pulcinella's basses? They are light for sure, and strapping one on feels really comfy.

8. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    The radius refers to the fretboard. The greater the radius the flatter the fret board.

9. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Not at all. It's a short scale (30"), but it's definitely not a kids' bass. And, if you just saw it in red, find a pic of a white one. Looks about a thousand times better, if you ask me.

But, anyway, they sound good, it's short scale, and it's around your price range.

10. See if GC has any of the Schecter Stiletto's. The neck is thinner and the sound is awesome.

11. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    That's true. They're not my cup of tea visually, but they're very, very well-made, nice sounding instruments. Schecter does pretty good work all around.

12. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    The current Stu Hamm model is 34", but the original Urge "Mark I" (mid-to-late '90s) was 32" scale. Still, most likely above your price range even on the used market. I'd even suggest the current model w/ a 34" scale as it's a smallish body, but it's well above yout price range. All the good toys are. ;)

I'm going to suggest the Yamaha RBX 374 or Ibanez SRX-500 - both well-made, lighter and smaller-sized bodies (as a smallish man, I can understand the need for scale/body issues.) There's also the Ibanez AGB140. This would certainly solve some of the weight issues due to it's being a semi-hollow, and you could very well find a different sound that could wind up "yours".

I would very much suggest saying as far away as possible from the ED-series. Apart from the discontinued EDA (Ibanez has a habit of discontinuing their good instruments) they're generally quite heavy, sound bad, and simply not very good basses by the general consensus. I've heard stories of luthite-bodied basses literally breaking apart after coming in from the cold to a warm room. A wooden bass' finish would likely crack, but not break straight through completely!

Also, as someone who had major back surgery (lost the better parts of T-7 to T-9) and had to adapt my playing style to it, I'd suggest looking into the widest strap possible/Comfort Strapp or the harness-type systems you see in the classifieds in BP rather than hanging your bass off your right shoulder. There are better ways to alleviate the pressure on your right shoulder, and I'd imagine playing as you are currently is wreaking havoc with your technique. You also might want to see a Chiropractor and discuss your playing options in terms of how high you strap on your bass and how that can affect the shoulder/nerve issues. I'm not a doctor, only play one on the internet and been around enough during my lifetime, but it certainly couldn't hurt and quite possible could help a great deal.

Good luck!

13. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I'm gonna suggest a big 'NO' on the agb140. While it's pretty light, that sucker has a big, wide neck.

And, aside from special harness straps and things like that, hanging the bass higher up (about mid-torso/chest, though it might look a bit goofy to some folks) helps relieve a lot of wrist/hand issues.

14. bassgal

bassgal

Jan 15, 2005
    Scarred and Pennyd thanks to both of you or the info. I'll check into both of them.

I have thought about the Harness. But any amount of pressure on my left shoulder causes numbness to my neck and left face area. Then it runs down to my arm etc. I did talk to a Dr not too long ago and he said there is a bundle of nerves that run through that area of the shoulder.

It is not too bad playing with it on the right shoulder. A bit akward at first. The only thing that it really messes with is when I am trying to hit the notes and then the octave, makes gettting the little or third finger over the string jump in a weird position. But I am working on it.

Thanks again
    Staci

Opps and Steve too, Thanks!

Edited to include Steve

15. stretch80

stretch80

Jan 31, 2005
    Hey bassgal, here's two thoughts...

1. I played an old short scale Univox semi-hollow-body a few weeks ago, and it was very cool - very thin neck. They can be found on ebay for 3-400 or sometimes less. Could get a funky growl on the bridge pickup, boom on the neck.

2. There's a strap called the Slider Strap that goes over both shoulders, and looks really cool.

Good luck!