1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help to record using POD X3

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Just got this thing and i cant record more than a stereo track...

And i should be able to get:

1-2 L/R tones 1+2 mix
    3-4 L/R tone 1 wet
    5-6 L/R tone 2 wet
    7 Tone 1 dry
    8 Tone 2 dry

I installed ASIO4ALL and i use Audacity but i just cant get it to work.

Also, im not willing to spend $$$ on recording software....

2. Not a windows expert but I think Reaper might be a better bet for trying to do free multi track recording on a microsoft box. In my experience Audacity is a nice file editor if you don't need to do anything complex, I'm not sure it's suitable for tracking 8 things at a time. I've never actually used it for tracking at all.

3. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh:

Reaper costs 50 bucks.....

Might still check it out tho...

4. Pretty sure it's a full featured demo for non commercial use. Someone around here might know more.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :D

Reaper might just be worth it even just for recording.

Managed to figure out how to pre-set up 4 tracks for recording and save them as a template.

Now i just go thru 2 menus and i have the tone 1+2 mix, tone 1 wet, tone 2 wet, and a safety track (which is just tone 1 dry....)

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Does anyone know how i can output the tracks to individual sound files?

7. Is that USB ?

Was under the impression you could only get stereo tracks recorded via USB (e, you couldnt have 8 individual)

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Yes, it is USB

and normally you can only get 2 tracks out of it, but using a program that utilizes ASIO you can get 8 out of the POD

Figured out how to output the tracks individually so i can load them into Audacity. If i can figure out how to mixdown tracks i select into another, separate, track I'll definatly switch to Reaper....

9. Depends on how you use the bus. Most USB interfaces are only stereo mixdown because the bandwidth of the USB 1.1 interface (what was generally in use at the time that firewire 400 hit) is very narrow. You could only have a few tracks being recorded simultaneously before latency occurred and the connection started to bog down. However, USB 2.0 has largely eliminated that, as it can achieve higher bandwidth than Firewire 400. But, most manufacturers are still annoying about it... I routinely use an older Edirol interface that does up to 10 tracks over USB 2.0. We never are monitoring during recording (live stuff only, so we are paying attention more to the live mix), but it works like a charm for 8-track.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Considering that i can monitor the output of the pod from either the L/R balanced 1/4" or the headphone outs, latency is not a problem. Tho it is funny to set the computer to playback the track as its recorded.... Some real crazy stuff when you got a delay going on the pod and the delay from latency....

11. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    Maybe Audacity can't handle all that. It would be nice if you could test it with something else.

Note: There's a demo of Cakewalk Sonar here: http://download.cakewalk.com/sonartrial.asp [You'll need to give it a name & email address]

Sonar is pretty high-end, and if the PODxt driver does all it should, Sonar's trial should work for you. The trial is only 15 days (30 if you register), but that should be sufficient for you to diagnose the problem.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Thanks for the help guys :D (and possibly gals....)

Reaper is actually pretty good for recording, but i do like Audacity for editing. And thats what im gonna use.

If I wanted to take the time I could compile Audacity from the source code to allow it to use ASIO. But that would just take WAY to much time/hassle. Taking a second look at it $50 is nothing for a good piece of software these days