1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help troubleshooting Growler

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abarson, Apr 29, 2009.

1. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    I have a Tobias Growler 4 that lately is sounding like buttwipe.
    New strings, check.
    New batteries, check.
    All controls working, check.
    Clean fingernails, check.

I miss the big, piano-chimey tone I used to be able to get. The current sound is slightly muffled, definitely attenuated, and doesn't get those great clear highs that it used to. It also caused some weird pops recently when recorded.:scowl:

I'm looking for suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem, how to discern whether it may be the pickup or the preamps, or what else to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
    :help::crying::help:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi abarson.

Are you tracking and mixing via headphones?

If so, are you being careful with your volume--and your ears?

I tracked with 'phones at high volumes for ~ 4 months while home recording and wound up half deaf. Afterward everything sounded muffled.

Another TB'er tracked with loud headphones for much longer and suffered irreversible - and progressive - hearing loss. He will be completely deaf soon...

3. Cable?

4. Well...it sounds like the pre may be on its way out...but

Check all of the connections.maybe a wire is frayed and making a connection somewhere..that will give you problems.It wouldn't hurt to install a new jack. Maybe something has gotten inside of it causing a bad connection.. I just experienced this myself...weird distortion..pops.

5. aeonmouse

aeonmouse

Jun 12, 2009
    same thing has happened to me recently - it was the preamp and I have spent over 2 months emailing and caling USA, Australia and New Zealand trying to get a new preamp..