1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help wiring a piezo bridge with it's own, separate input.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by dstronge, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dstronge

dstronge

Dec 19, 2011
    I am modifying an old jazzmaster clone and i replaced the bridge with a piezo. the bridge is on its own input - so all of the electronics will be separate from the magnetic pickups (which are passive anyway). my question is, can i simply hook the bridge up to a preamp by itself, without any other mag pickups? would i need a magnetic buffer? and would the volume and tone pots connected to the preamp affect the piezo?

thank you for any help with this.

2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    a passive piezo should go to its own output (not "input", that doesn't really make sense), and should go to a preamp made for piezos first, before any knobs or anything, or it will sound terrible, weak and screechy with no low end.

you'd have a much more useful guitar with an onboard preamp for the piezo, like a fishman powerchip or baggs control-x.