Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with Barcus Berry

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nivaca, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Hi! I own a nice carved bass which sounds really nice by itself. I use a Barcus Berry pickup (with its pre) with a Nemesis NC 250 combo. I'm having much trouble getting a good sound with it (even though the volume is fine).
    I play mostly pizz (comping and soloing) and I haven't been able to manage a fine EQ tuning. Can anybody help me with that? Anybody owns a Barcus Berry? Suggestions accepted.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have never really got a good sound with the Barcus Berry pickup. It just doesn't sound natural at all to me. If you aren't opposed to it, I would sell it and look into a better sounding pickup like a Full Circle.

3. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    First, which pickup do you have, the old clip kind or the new one?
    I still use the old clip/thumbscrew kind, and all the tweaking I do is on the light side, a little bit can go a long way; start with it all flat and slowly make changes.

I find EQ wise that all the problem frequencies are in the mids and upper mids and trebles, ie all the honk & sizzle. Right now I am using two older boss EQ peddles a 7 band graphic and a parametric [they aren't pretty but they don't color the sound], if you want I can go and tell you what the settings are. But you might want something with a wider range so you can really pinpoint the sound you are after.

Also, a compressor is your best friend with this pickup. They really help to keep the sound controlled; I use a very old Alesis micro limiter.

4. Brennan

Brennan

Sep 29, 2004
    San Francisco
    Man, I dont mean to be a jerk but you might consider junking the BB. I've tried nearly all of the PU on the market and thats a real dog. I would recomend a K&K Bass Max coupled with a preamp, or a Gage Realist. I tried the full circle and it didn't sound very good on my bass. Ther are other more expensive options but thats a good place to start.

5. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    True. But if it is all someone has until they upgrade, it is a good way to practice on get anything to sound good. I fide that if you play well and know how to adjust the sound, you can make anything work.

Actually all I use the pickup for anymore is for when I build a new EUB. If it will sound good with this pickup it will sound great with a better pickup.

6. Nivaca

Nivaca

Jan 8, 2005
    Is the K&K Bass Max a good choice?

7. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I use a BB 3150 pickup on my (modified) Carruthers EUB and it works great! A big improvement over the stock bridge/pickup system.
    I took an old acoustic upright bridge to replace the stock bridge. (cut the legs, reshaped the crown, etc.)

8. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    It's the most afordable and it works great. That gives it the best bang for buck ratio of them all. Even if you upgrade to something more sophisticated, the K&K Bass Max is a good spare part in the gigbag...

9. +1

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    This was why my first EUB was built around a acoustic bridge; so that I could use any bridge mounted DB pickup. I know this might sound a bit contradictory but for the big EUB I like the sound of the BB, but on the DB it is to edgy for me. On the little travel EUB I made I still haven’t found “the one”, and am working on building a bridge with a internal pickup.

11. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    I've tried many things since I'm playing EUB only since about 8 years now.
    I'd look at the Barbera system or something similar. (one piezo per string)
    All the other things I tried (Underwood, Fishman, and another brand whose name escapes me right now; it was two elements that I installed with epoxy resin into holes drilled in the bridge) were giving poor results. Uneven volume from string to string, or too much string noise, etc.
    The BB 3150 I use now is the best so far.

12. I'm not familiar with the BB 3150. Is that an EUB specific thing?

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada