1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help with bypass pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlightlyaBanana, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    hi all, im trying to setup a pedal board, but really need help..

EHX POG (+1 octave) - Fuzz. - Bypass -
    --------------------------------------reverb - Moog MF 101
    MXR BOD (-1 octave) - ODB3 - Bypass -

the main reason for this is - i want a 3 octave bass -
    -1 octave - 0 octave and +1 octave

i want the fuzz to be +1 octave
    and i want the MXR bass octave deluxe to be -1 octave,

if i put the ehx pog behind the mxr then the mxr would = 0 octave, because -1 octave + 1 octave will = 0 octave.

(-1 + 1 = 0)

so there for if i had a bypass (or maybe its called something else) that could input the 2 chains (one being higher octave and one behind the lower octave) then have 1 output so they blend together. which then connected to a reverb and a moogerfooger mf 101 (for a cutoff frequency sweep)

sorry if this is confusing - its really hard to explain.
    cheers

2. I think you want a parallel looper pedal, that let's you mix two different effect loops together in parallel. Put the POG in one loop, the BOD in the other, blend to taste, the BOD (or both) will pass your clean signal if you want.

The Badger Schism and the Boss LS-2 both have this capability, as well as a number of options from sfx, a custom/boutique shop out of the UK that does beautiful work.

3. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    thanks for the reply,

does anyone else have clarification if this works?

4. I'm not too sure what you're up to, or what the deal is with the bypass signals. Or where the moog fits.

Octave pedals like a nice clean input. I think you have to split to the two octaves then use a mixer blender. Phase could get ugly. Good luck.

5. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    can both channels be played instantaneously with one another? thanks

6. Sure can. I don't know enough about that sort of stuff to comment on specifics but I can see potential for the phase of the two halves to get off, might even sound cool, or not.

I hope this is for the bass solo, you'll be crowding the mix!

7. I don't know about other blend pedals but the with the LS-2 you can run 2 channels at once. I'm pretty sure you can do that with the schism as well.

8. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    thanks. Forgot to mention; is that the boss LS-2 or the Badger Schism?

9. Yes, that is one of the things a parallel looper is perfect for.

Here is a clip of me running a BMS in parallel with a HOG, English Muffin, and Zoom G2.1u. All the instrument portion of the ditty is a one take with the Zoom drum machine and a Badger-esque parallel looper.

Good effecty stuff starts about a minute in.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=7783247

Edit::: Badger Schism allows for two loops plus your clean. The loops also have a phase inversion switch. It has been my experience that there isn't much negative phase interaction between octave down and octave up signals since there isn't much crossover in the frequency band used.