1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with grandson

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Sep 23, 2019.

1. What is a good CD for teaching my grandson to play bass from beginner on up to pro, all in one cd. He won't read a book also its got to be a very decent price since I am living on retirement. This is my grandson he has ADHD so reading much is not his thing. I just don't have the tome or patience 64573937_10161746922140034_1751076853981904896_n.jpg

2. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    First question I have is does he want to play bass? I do not think anything from beginner to pro is in the cards. Lot of bass can be played with the root and 5th. Show him how to find the root on the A string and the 5th will be on the E string same fret. Need help with this ask.

[​IMG]

Get the book Bass Guitar for Dummies - no pun, that is the name of a really great getting started book. That will give him all the how to hold the beast, how to tune it, etc. If you have to read the first few chapters and help him - do so. The first few chapters will get him started.

Find some fake chord sheet music. And let him pound roots to the beat.

Pull up some fake chord sheet music on the songs he would like to play using Google and these search words; chords, "name of the song".
    Helps if he already knows the tune and can sing the song as he hunts for the chords (roots and 5ths)

I'm hoping this will give him enough to where he kinda teaches himself. I really see that as the most productive way for this project to work.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  3. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Cream-Disraeli Gears

Vytor, comatosedragon and bfields like this.
  4. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Do you mean an instructional CD?

If not, I second this >

AboutSweetSue likes this.
  5. konfyouzd

konfyouzd

Jan 3, 2009
    Seattle
    Get Victor Wooten's Groove Workshop. Although I believe that comes as a TWO disc set. (If DVDs are acceptable, that is)

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  6. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Just watch out for “silver bullet” courses. I call them that because they make big claims. Will promise a super fast track to great results and make little or no mention of work required to get you there. - Far as I have ever found, you just gotta put in the time and effort. I caught that you were trying to stay in a budget, so wanted to steer you away from wasting funds on such things. I would maybe look into something free on YouTube just to see if this bass playing is going to be a thing...
    Talking bass is one that I’ve read good things about. Real bass lessons is another that I’ve looked at a little. Am sure there are others that would be good, just don’t jump around. Try to pick one person and do their lessons in order from
    The beginning. The web has a wealth of info, but it can be overwhelming. If you try to jump around and learn this from one instructor, and that from another, it can be counter productive.
    Hope this helps!

7. Malcolm35

Malcolm35

Aug 7, 2018
    Thirty minutes with another bassist can give him the basic dirt simple stuff he will need to get started. Nothing beats sitting knee to knee with another bass player. Instant feed back. Ask a question and get the answer right now.

Good luck it is not something that will happen over night.

Nashrakh likes this.
  8. I am sorry DVD not CD, he wanted a DVD from beginner to pro so he would only have to pay one time. He already knows a little.
    I am sorry I meant to say DVDs not CDs

9. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    That IS an instructional CD.

catcauphonic likes this.
  10. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    As for instructional content, I’m still trying to make sense of the Bass Grimoire. That thing is full of some hard knowledge.

I’m not sure there are many DVDs that will instruct from beginner to pro. Once you get into that territory of span I’d be looking for a book on theory. So, I’d get him a list of basics YouTube videos and the Bass Tab White Pages and call it a day.

Spin Doctor likes this.
  11. Not to derail the thread, but in my opinion, everything in the Bass Grimoire can be shown in about 20 pages, if that. I find its presentation frankly bizarre. It shows everything as "modes of modes" which is super confusing and unnecessary.

For example, if it shows you the pattern for say, F Lydian, it calls that "1". Then what it calls "2" in F Lydian, is actually a G Mixolydian. Why anyone would call what is clearly Mixolydian, the 2 of Lydian is beyond me.

It's full of that type stuff and it really just makes me shake my head, because it never demonstrates the intervallic relationships contained within the modes (which actually makes it much easier to see). It's just randomly named modal patterns placed in a linear order.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2019
  12. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Bass Grimiore is a paperweight, when in comes to practical theory.
    About as useful as a dictionary with the definitions removed.
    Good for spelling but not understanding.

I have no advice for DVDs
    but a rote beginner I would point to Mark J Smith's excellent material at talkingbass.net
    Mark has a ton of solid , well organized, free content on his You Tube Page
    He even has a playlist of tutorials for the absolute beginner

bfields, BOOG, Goatrope and 1 other person like this.
  13. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

lessons.

interp likes this.
  14. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead!

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    If he doesn't want to read, there are TONS of free Youtube resources that he could watch and listen to on his phone with headphones or on the computer. Scott's Bass Lessons come to mind, or heck you can Google SO many different random "Bass lesson" videos that are even on specific techniques, often with very high production value.

Or for $10-$20 a month, (often times the price of ONE lesson with a teacher) you can have a subscription to tons of bass instruction videos along with many other perks by going to Online Bass Lessons With Low End University - Low End University . I have NO affiliation with Mark, other than I met him at a show once and used to subscribe to this service.

The best teacher, for me at least, was just sitting down and playing a bunch of my favorite songs and plucking around (pun slightly intended) until I started hitting right notes. Pairing that with lessons and some elbow grease, he'll get solid chops and be able to hold his own in a band setting.

mikewalker likes this.
  15. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    From what I've seen of them, Scott's Bass Lessons seems to cover it all.

16. The Fast Track series is good. There's an instructional book and a companion songbook that you can start after about 10 pages of the instruction book. There's a level two book as well. They're not big and they're not expensive. Available everywhere. Here's a link on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Fast track bass

My son is diagnosed ADD. He loves music but can't apply himself to learn an instrument. The son of a friend was so ADHD he went to a special school. He's now touring (on bass) with his band and has an indie label album. His father, who takes Wellbutrin everyday, is a law professor and acknowledged expert in mediatation and conflict resolution.

The above is to show that I have some insight. The two books above move pretty quickly, are not reading intensive and get you playing rock songs quickly. There are CD versions available. Not sure about DVD.

There's a very good website for supporting people with ADD/ADHD. Another link:

ADDitude

Good Luck,

Mugre

gary mitchell and Spin Doctor like this.
  17. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I don't think it really works like that (covering beginner to pro), and I'd be a little weary of anything that claims to.

As far as I know, this is the closest I'd think he can get >

https://www.amazon.com/Leonard-Bass...ocphy=9033329&hvtargid=pla-434036466186&psc=1

3 books (can be bought separately), each with accompanying CD for auditory accompaniment.

gary mitchell likes this.
  18. AboutSweetSue

AboutSweetSue

Sep 29, 2018
    Lebanon, TN
    Yeah, that was my thought on it. It’s presented as though it’s all a mystery to be solved, a puzzle I guess.