Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP WITH MOD!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eric15, Aug 3, 2005.

1. eric15

eric15

Jul 8, 2004
    Hey guys! I have a few quetions on mod. i want to do. Ok i have a fender standered Jazz bass and i want to install a P-bass pickup infront of the neck pickup. Has anyone ever tried to do this, if so how do u cut a place for the pickups in the bass body? I really need help so any input will be very appriciated.

Thanks,Eric

2. yeah it will sound more "P"ish in the middle of the two, similar to the Urge bass.

3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    try wiring pups to series? totally reverseable w/ a definite change i tone. its deeper/fatter.

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If my memory serves me correct, that Jazz bass should have a pickguard covering both pickups...

I did see some basses like Jaco and stuff who don't have them though so hopefully yours will be able to be disguised behind the pickup...

I am guessing that there are Jazz pick guards that have the P and J style Combo you are looking for already cut...
    However, IMHO the Jazz neck pickup should get SWAPPED out with the P pickups and NOT added in front like you wanted. Do a measurement from neck to P pickup on the P bass or something and do your cutting from that point.
    Measure twice, cut once!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think you'll be happy with results. What you would likely end up is a hideous, muddy sounding bastard bass that doesn't sound anything like a P. The position of the pickup (about where the neck J pickup is) determines the tone.

Go ahead and do it though, you may like it. If not, just get another pickguard and you can cover up the routing.