Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by eric15, Aug 3, 2005.

1. eric15

Jul 8, 2004
    Hey guys! I have a few quetions on mod. i want to do. Ok i have a fender standered Jazz bass and i want to install a P-bass pickup infront of the neck pickup. Has anyone ever tried to do this, if so how do u cut a place for the pickups in the bass body? I really need help so any input will be very appriciated.

2. yeah it will sound more "P"ish in the middle of the two, similar to the Urge bass.
  3. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    try wiring pups to series? totally reverseable w/ a definite change i tone. its deeper/fatter.
  4. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    If my memory serves me correct, that Jazz bass should have a pickguard covering both pickups...

I did see some basses like Jaco and stuff who don't have them though so hopefully yours will be able to be disguised behind the pickup...

I am guessing that there are Jazz pick guards that have the P and J style Combo you are looking for already cut...
    However, IMHO the Jazz neck pickup should get SWAPPED out with the P pickups and NOT added in front like you wanted. Do a measurement from neck to P pickup on the P bass or something and do your cutting from that point.
    Measure twice, cut once!
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I don't think you'll be happy with results. What you would likely end up is a hideous, muddy sounding bastard bass that doesn't sound anything like a P. The position of the pickup (about where the neck J pickup is) determines the tone.

Go ahead and do it though, you may like it. If not, just get another pickguard and you can cover up the routing.