Need help with this walking bass line.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by The1bassist06, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Me and my buddy are jamming at a winery and one of the songs on the setlist he gave me was this one.

I got the first part of what to play which is F G G# G F but he starts walking the bassline is where I get lost. Im not familiar at all playing jazz. Any tips?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Whousedtoplay likes this.
  3. Stumbo likes this.
  4. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    When is the gig? If it's a few months away, you have time to take some lessons with a local jazz teacher and/or work from a book like Ed Friedland's "Building Walking Bass Lines." If the gig is coming up soon, in my opinion there is no shame in telling your buddy, "I don't know how to play jazz, can we pick a different song for the set list?" Or he can play it as a solo tune while you enjoy a glass of wine. No offense but if you don't even know the difference between G# and Ab, you need to learn the basic building blocks of music theory (like "what are the notes of F Minor?") before you can even consider learning how to play jazz walking bass. But if your heart is totally set on playing this song, with your current skill set, then my advice is to transcribe the bass line from the recording and play it note for note, ignoring for the time being the "why" behind each note choice. :)

Stumbo and Whousedtoplay like this.
  5. It's not a jazz gig. We are playing most pearl jam, alice in chains and Zepplin tunes except we are playing it all acoustic. He plays in the jazz band at college and randomly threw this song in there on the setlist on me. I play bass in my free time and for fun with my buddies and know some basic theory. I am by no means a jazz musician lmao.

6. Thank you! This actually helped a lot!

7. Not gonna lie it has been awhile since I have brushed up on my scales. Now that you said F minor I feel dumb for not figuring out that was what key the song was in. Im just gonna improv it on the spot and hopefully it works lol. As long as no there is no musicians there dissecting my playing I think ill be good.

8. Rhythmman535

Rhythmman535 Supporting Member

May 9, 2007
    Rochester, NY
    If you can transcribe the actual bass line from the recording you'll be well on your way.

9. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I believe the OP was referring to the recording, not to his friend.

10. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    For the walking section I would suggest keeping it really simple. Two beats of root and two beats of fifth per bar will be much more effective than one beat of root and three beats of confusion per bar. :)

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    1. Chord Tones
    2. Scale Tones
    3. Chromatic Tones
    In order of priority

Rhythmman535 likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021