1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need input on deciding between these three amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Helbent Revenge, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    A while ago I posted that I was interested in a new practice amp, after jamming with my friend again today I am ABSOLUTELY certain that I need a new amp ASAP, I hate my tiny amp not being able to bring out the E-string when using fingers and the low-B string playing with a pick or fingers, I NEED that nice thumpy warmness. I feel like crap not being able to play the sounds I want.

So I've narrowed down to:
    Ashdown EB 15-180
    Acoustic B200 (the popular choice)

I've heard tons of praise with the Acoustic, and that's the only one of the three that I can actually try out, the other two I'd have to order online w/o trying (no dealers for miles and miles).

Imagine like I had a 5-string P-bass and had the tone knob turned all the way to favor bass over treble, which amp suits that sound best? Thank you TB.

EDIT: Well the Ampeg BA115 is an unpopular choice, and to be honest I wasn't 100% sure on it either. So now it's between the Ashdown and the Acoustic.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Since you've tried the Acoustic, I'd suggest going with what you know. That Ampeg sux, and I know nothing about Ashdown. Last amp standing?

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I would think the Acoustic. The Ampeg is less power. The Ashdown (i've heard) takes forever to get parts for if it breaks down. Like RickenBoogie said... Last amp standing.

4. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    -1 on the Ampeg.

She's a hisser. ;)

5. In that price range, and of those amps, I actually think the Fender Rumble 100 blows them all away. I was researching a new amp for a kid I was teaching, and I found all of those locally, and was actually really impressed by the Fender. Way more balls and low end than the others, in my opinion.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Turning the bass all the way up on the instrument is a sure-fire way to get lots of mud. But it's your tone, not mine.

Also, have you tried a different bass through your rig? Lots of basses just don't get good tone in the low strings.

7. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    Mine's an Ibanez, it's okayish for me but I have the bass picked out that I want to save up for. It's ~$800 after taxes and since I'm jobless for the time being it's going to be a while before I get it.

8. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    Looks like you're narrowing things down toward the Acoustic - no objection here.

If you can kick around the used market a little, you might want to see if there's a Genz-Benz combo out there from their M-Line series. I found an earlier model of theirs which is a 1x12 with a tweeter - crazy cheap (about $80) and the thing absolutely howls. They've got 15" models, too and I also saw an M-Line 2x10 combo a couple of years back that was extremely strong given the smaller package that it was.

I don't see these amps everywhere, but in case you trip over one, you'd be smart to give it a look.

9. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    Bump

10. I love my Acoustic B200.
    Good warranty. GC backs them up, so you can exchange if you need to. It's got plenty of juice, and plenty of bottom with the 15". It has great tone, and I use a Tech 21 Bass VT with it.
    You can make payments on it through GC, interest free. Mine is the next piece of GAS that will be paid off.
    It's a winner, all the way around.

AcousticB200003.

Slackeprince

11. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    How's it sound with the volume cranked and with the lows really boosted? That's my only worry between both of these amps. Thanks.

12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Helbent Revenge.

Many players on TB set their amp's EQ flat-->turn the rig up as loud as it needs to be (short of speaker-killing power amp clipping/distortion)-->then they tweak the EQ slightly to compensate for room acoustics and competition from other instruments.

Boosting the bejesus out of the lows is a sure-fire way to get a flabby, muddy sound and eat up power amp headroom to the point where the amp clips & fries speaker voice coils.

Please listen closely to your amp's speaker(s) when you play loud. If your amp clips or your speaker(s) start farting out, ease up on your volume to avoid having to pay for the same speaker(s) twice. :crying:

--------

Oh yeah. And please mind your hearing!

If you hear a ringing sound after jamming/rehearsing/gigging, then your band was playing too loud and you've just injured the one bit of gear that you can't replace--your ears! :eek:

13. i suggest you look at the new fender bassman combos!!!

14. Helbent Revenge

Helbent Revenge

Feb 16, 2009
    Duely noted, thanks