1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need more evidence that you should practice?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PBrown, Aug 20, 2012.

1. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Seems like sound spiritual advice. :) Made me think of the 4 agreements which is also a spiritual way of living that if I remember correctly lays low on the "god" aspect of things:

Agreement 4: Always Do Your Best​
    Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

Doing your best means enjoying the action without expecting a reward. The pleasure comes from doing what you like in life and having fun, not from how much you get paid. Enjoy the path traveled and the destination will take care of itself.

Living in the moment and releasing the past helps us to do the best we can in the moment. It allows us to be fully alive right now, enjoying what is present, not worrying about the past or the future.

Have patience with yourself. Take action. Practice forgiveness. If you do your best always, transformation will happen as a matter of course.
    If anyone is interested in a summary of what the 4 agreements are all about, it's a simple yet powerful way of living. Read it a while back (it's a short easy to read book) and can't find anything that's really arguable in it. http://www.humanpotentialunlimited.com/Summary-content.html

Not looking to derail, nor push the ideas above. Just add to the flow here. :)

3. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    I read the Four agreements about ten years ago and gleaned a lot from it at the time. Release the past and forgive; I like that.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    BROTHER: "And Saint Atila raised the bass guitar up on high, saying, 'Oh, Lord, bless this thy bass guitar that with it thou mayest play thy bass notes to perfection, in thy mercy.' And the Lord did grin, and bassists did feast upon the Alembics, and Rickenbackers, and Laklands, and Rob Allens, and Fenders, and Gibsons, and Spectors, and Ritters, and --"

MAYNARD: Skip a bit, Brother.

BROTHER: "And the Lord spake, saying, 'First shalt thou tune thy Holy bass. Then, shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shalt be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out! Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy bass notes towards thou audience, who being Holy in my sight, shall love it.'"

MAYNARD: Amen.

5. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    Yes, Lobbest thou thy Holy bass notes... Perfect! (Must add Sadowsky in there!)

6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Brother Maynard needs to remember to admonish the brethren to hit it on the ONE...

But I appreciated the blog. It's common for people, especially in the wake of a big conversion experience, to think that the only valid path for them is now the ministry. But that's obviously not true. The world needs its farmers and machinists and plumbers and teachers and bass players too. They are all equally "spiritual" callings if seen in the right light.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Perhaps the goal is not necessarily to do spiritual things, but to do things in a spiritual way.

8. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    Good piece. I agree, and I do my best for the same reasons you wrote about but I'm not concerned w/ obscurity.

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I am all about the mindfulness.

10. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    Agreed. My thoughts exactly. It's all very Brother Lawrence to me.
    To the rest of the posts above: You guys are cool. I dig what you are saying. Aren't mindful players are the best to play with?!
    I think this is all useful to a player looking to grow. Thanks guys.