1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Opinions on High Mass Bridges

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GravyGoodness, May 22, 2020.

1. No amount of $$ is too much for superior tone

52 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Jamerson did it with a bent piece of metal

102 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. High Mass Carrots only please

57 vote(s)
    27.0%
  1. So look, I know this isn't as hotly contested as "tonewood" or even poly vs nitro. BUT! Is a high mass bridge worth the cost?

I design water and sewer systems now, but I ran a machine shop for 15 years before and I appreciate nice machine work. I think it's cool, so a nifty hunk of metal is just beautiful to me. I really want to buy a Babicz bridge ONLY because it looks awesome - tone is not the priority here (despite the poll option).

Do you like high mass bridges? Hate them? What's your faves? Also if you have a Babicz let me know how you like it.

If you're wondering it's going on a Blonde Fender Classic 50's PBass.

ruju, Bobhmcs, RodRy and 6 others like this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    In about 1983, I bought a used Fender jazz. Like many of the era, they had added a Badass II bridge. Two years ago, I restored it with a vintage bridge. I can't hear or feel any difference.

3. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    I replaced the bridges on my MIM Fenders with Badass bridges, and they seemed to be an improvement overall. Tried installing one on my MIA Fender and found that I preferred the stock bridge on that one. So for me, I guess it depends on the bass and your tone goals whether you consider it an improvement or not.

gozbass, leftybass54, bobba66 and 4 others like this.
  4. I’ve tried a few, and haven’t really noticed any difference in tone. BUT I was very happy when I put one on a light weight body and it helped balance the bass out, resulting in better playability. (FWIW it was a Fender Deluxe Bridge.)

Even if you don’t care about the tone, you can still justify getting one. If you like the look, the feel & function of the thing when you change your strings, make adjustments, and just plain makes you like the bass more- that’s enough in my book! :thumbsup:

TH63, Bemo9, 93SuperVee and 23 others like this.
  5. MCF

MCF

Sep 1, 2014
    US
    I’m a Thunderbird player and have the Babicz replacement for the Gibson three point on two birds. It’s a huge improvement over the standard bridge, mostly for adjustability. I don’t see the need to replace the bent bridge on my Fender P.

Vinny_G, Nebula24, Aqualung60 and 5 others like this.
  6. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I'd vote for the benefits that high mass bridges bring, but don't worry what we think. Just put a Babicz on your bass and appreciate it.

7. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    Not in terms of tone.

Aesthetics and engineering appreciation, on the other hand, are worthy reasons on their own. :thumbsup:

Recon1342, Vinny_G, MOFuB and 21 others like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    If you love your current pbass tone, I am not suggest any modified on it.

But..... if you have problem E string lacking definition or blur tone on any different E string you try , it is worth a try on himass bridge.

alpan254 likes this.
  9. If you want to give your bass some new jewelry, go get some.

10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i buy bridges based on what i want them to do on a particular ax (e.g., schaller 3D roller bridge = set my string spacing per a given instrument, and move on).

IME: bridges are the most hyped of any EB part aside from the tonewood bull- :poop: . your technique + pickups = mean more. i've used bent-steel bridges forever. they work. except for the string spacing thing: schaller 3dD = bent steel = any other competent bridge.

per the OP: looks are for kids: but if you like the way the babicz looks = it's only money. if you think that some bridge would make you sound better = :laugh:

Vinny_G, MOFuB, JohnJenkins and 9 others like this.
  11. shredace

shredace Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2019
    Boca Raton, FL
    I have a Fender Ultra Jazz bass which has Fender's latest version of the high mass bridge. The punch and sustain from this bass is amazing and well worth the slight additional weight.

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    my opinion is...they offer whatever they show on the surface. adjustability, size, weight-change. if there is a tweak that your current bridge won't offer, and another bridge does, go for it. if you are looking for it to change the character of the instrument, you will either be disappointed or will experience the placebo effect. my opinion only. worth very little.

13. I m a fan of solid bridges and have milled a few from billet brass. The Babicz design in particular in regards to how the saddle heights are adjusted does carry the possibility of improved tone. Unless you are worried about maintaining a vintage look go for it. Hopefully there will be no visible holes if you switch back.

14. La Faro

La Faro

Jun 20, 2016
    Da Nang, Viet Nam
    My Squier, seemed to be a dirt magnet, and fiddly to clean. Saw the Fender option on Thomann and it was just 29 quid. I'm not sure there is a tonal difference but it looks tidier and easy to clean. What I didn't count on was palm muting being more comfortable. Something I explore when trying Bobby Vega's pic style.

On my Squier it was worth it.

But if I had a vintage looking bass, I'm not sure a would.

Vinny_G, MOFuB, Groove Doctor and 3 others like this.
  15. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Depending on what you replace it with, many aftermarket bridges can provide conveniences like greater ease of setting string height and intonation. Some even allow you to lock those settings in place. Still others let you adjust the string spacing. If those features are helpful to you, the replacement may be worth it.

As far as sustain, punch, tone, etc. those things are pretty subjective. Any improvement in those areas is likely to be small.

Vinny_G, MOFuB, lokikallas and 11 others like this.
  16. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Every bass is different.

You won’t know until you string it up.

17. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If your bass is neck divey a high mass bridge can help balance it :)

Bemo9, MOFuB, Nebula24 and 6 others like this.
  18. No comment on a high mass improving tone, not my jam.

I like a nice piece of machine work too, including how it's finished. The Babicz is nicely made, well designed, and looks the part. I have a couple and like them a lot.

On the basis of looks, in the high mass dept, I like Fender's Big Block bridge. It's just beautiful.

s-l300.jpg

BassoProf, MOFuB, Kwabas and 10 others like this.
  19. I like the looks and quality. I see no actual purpose for them though. That being said, I have aftermarket massive bridges on all my basses. Hahahaha. Not for tone though. Just because they're dope.

MOFuB, landry.bass, DrMole and 2 others like this.
  20. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    I agree, that's one of my favorites as well. They call it high mass, but more than anything it just seems like a classically styled bridge that is engineered as the next evolutionary step up from the completely acceptable bent plate design.

"High mass" = marketing gimmick, though that doesn't mean that high mass bridges can't be great bridges.

TH63, kodiakblair and Templar like this.