Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need practise, now!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Biggums, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Biggums

Biggums

Jul 25, 2005
    :bassist: Hello everyone, I've been playing the bass for 2 years and in my school Me and my friend "Mr X" are the best bassist there. However, being friends and bassists of similar calibur, there is a bit of rivalry. However, "Mr X" is very arrogant about his bass talent and is always bragging on about it, where as i never talk about it. Due to his arrogance people are thinking that he is really good. There is no doubting that he is good, but he needs a good kick up the back-side. I have just started my summer holidays. Me and "Mr X" have quite a big social circle and are always out late doing "teenager-ish" things :p but I realised that this would be a perfect oppourtunity to practice.

Here is my query. Having never had a lesson and having never really practised perse (I usually just jam, not all those scales and stuff) my bass technique is kind of rough around the edges. So I need a nice list of exercises to do. Now people, I need hard ones, or ones that WORK!

Hope this post isnt too long :smug: but just to indicate my level of "bass-ness" I am currently working on "YYZ" by "Rush" for those of you that have heard of it. I can do all of the bass fills, I just get tired.

2. Biggums

Biggums

Jul 25, 2005
    Oh yes, just to inform people wondering about mine and "MR X's" styles, think of it like this. Being white, I'm the generic white bass player, Being black, "Mr X" is the steriotypical black bassist (Funk). It may seem kinda crude but its the only way to describe it.

3. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Look at the stickied practice thread at the top of this forum.

Then study Pacman's sure-fire scale practice method which is also stickied at the top of this forum

Then go through the articles in the music theory/general instruction thread stickied at the top of this forum.

That should give you some good stuff to start on.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    ...then worry about making music, and forget who is the "best."

You go to school with Malcolm X?

5. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Many times, ego allows people to believe that they are better than they are. This normally leaves the person in a state where his growth is hindered, because he feels he's reached his pinnacle. You are doing the right thing by continuing to grow.

That said, this is not about competing with anyone but you. The only person you have to outshine is the person in the mirror.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    music is NOT a competition. focus on the music and who gives a crap what others are playing as long as it gells as a hole. If the guitarist is virtuoso, who cares, just lay down something simple then. No need to be all flashly. Just keep your lines simple and you should do just fine

7. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. I think we all need a little of that, so actually, I'd say you're lucky to have Mr X around.

Sounds like you're taking the right steps on asking for practice methods.

I don't have a good practice method myself, but my best advice is to play what you feel. If you play something you don't feel, then you're not playing with your soul.

As far as funkin' it up a little, I'd say play octaves and 5ths in staccato fashion, and see how it goes. Once you start feeling it, you'll know you have it.

Anyway, that's advice from an amateur. I'm learning myself too....

Hopefully someone can guide you in the right direction.

8. janek65

janek65

Apr 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    if i were you i would concentrate on becoming a better bass player instead of becoming a better bass player than him.
    As you describe it your styles are so different that it would be hard to compare them objectively anyway. Why bother then, i'd rather make music :D

9. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Reminds me of the Who album

"Who's Better, Who's Best" :bassist: