1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Some Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by VanillaO, Oct 18, 2006.

1. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    www.myspace.com/onesecondlost

That's got a few of my band's songs on there (all Live recordings; we usually set up a tape player somewhere), and I was just curious as to whether or not people like our sound, areas we could improve, etc. Personally, I find that our singer maybe doesn't fit the band 100% (off pitch maybe?) but he's got the right attitude and everything, and he's a great guy. Other than that, I'm interested to see how people like our sound, and what bands you might compare us to?

2. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i never know how to answer these considering i don't like that style of music....but your asking..

to me it sounds pretty typical....standard "groove" and feel of the rock/pop/alternative/hardcore whatever that is pumped through the mass media...nothing original about it to my ears...

but y'all look pretty young and the playing seems decent for your age group...

yeah the singer isn't great but he's ok...not standing out as being horrible or anyting...

so yeah seems OK overall :)

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Singer could be good with some voice lessons, phrase training, and learning to use his voice to correctly emphasize and de-emphasize. Drummer overplays at times. It's very cookie cutter for these days, but overall, it's what a lot of kids like to listen to.

I would say, keep working to develop a more unique sound, and keep playing as much as possible.

4. VanillaO

VanillaO Poop?

Oct 14, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    ya, we're not that young.. i'm 19, guitars are both 21 and singer/drummer are both 23.. we dont' get to practice that often cuz the drummer goes to school 2 hours away from toronto.

However, the 2 guitars and I just seem to mesh so easily, and ya, the singer needs work. I save my jamming and experimenting (ie not mainstream stuff) for my buddies I've known since childhood; unfortunately we don't record that stuff. But I might be getting a gig at a club working 10-1 every weeknight and some saturdays (should be fun seeing as how I'm working 830-5 already every weekday), so I hope that pans out well. More experience, more fun, more.. better. Thanks though guys :)

5. I always like bands that have the guts to put their live stuff on their myspace or personal web sites, because I don't trust studio tracks to really represent what they sound like live.

Not really my kinda music, but it seemed pretty tight. Just listened to a couple of songs and would have to agree that the singer is talented and just needs some training/practice/stage time etc. Not hearing a bad fit, but again not really my kinda tunes.

Your drummer is good but like someone said, is overplaying some parts. Overall certainly not bad at all.

6. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    :eek: Not that young!!!!!!!!!! well to me and alot of us on here you are..hey id go back and trade with ya if i could. I couldnt get alot of the music to upload and quit trying but from what i heard you guys were alright. I liked the melotic parts and how the guitars played together...vocals were not bad everything sounds better live than recorded while live so he fits and time will help him as well as any oone who play improve. I agree with B-note it takes guts to put the live stuff online ...studio anyone can be made to sound good. Keep it up and keep rockin i will give you a B-.

7. ric1312

ric1312 Inactive

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    I listened to both of the live songs in what looks like a coffee shop during the day.

1. On the first one guitarist was tuning live. Get a tuner. This seriously annoys an audience and make you look less than professional. tuning should always be inaudible.

2. Your songs sounded pretty tight too me. Good live sound too, nice tones on the instruments. Liked the playing.

3. The songwriting seemed to be there. You've got a good sound and the song writing is there. If you stick together it can only get better.

4. Yes. singer sounded like he could use some work. Definately not the worst I've heard though. Hell most of the colledge bands on the radio only sing marginally better than him if not much worse. sure needs some work, but he's a keeper.

Lessons may help him, but practice at home with at least some scalework for strength would help him more. What I heard in his voice was a little tremolo (not the good kind). which indicates either a little bit of a weak voice (the muscles involved are having a problem holding the cords in the right place) or adrenaline/stagefright is causing the tremolo, or a little bit of both. In the second case that goes away with experience.

I also heard that he was putting a little cry in his voice. Excellent. I don't know if he was doing it because of a particular singer he liked, but adding a little cry into your voice can really make it come together tonal wise.

you can help your singer out by making sure he can hear himself loud and clear. And by asking which songs are good for him to start out with as a set warm up.