Need to replace neck on my Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dominic82, May 6, 2004.

1. Dominic82

Jun 12, 2003
    The neck got snapped on my Epiphone Thunderbird (bolt on) so i am looking to get a new one. All i can find are rounded heel fender ones but mine takes a square heel, would it still work? Thanks
  2. I don't think any Fender, or Fender-type necks will fit your bass. You should go to the Epiphone site and contact their customer service department. My gut feeling is that it may be almost as expensive for you to buy a replacement neck from Epiphone and have it installed, as it would to replace the bass itself.

Good luck.

3. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    It would fit no problem, but it might be cheaper to get your old neck fixed, Snapped headstocks are a common problem with Thunderbirds and I'm sure that any good shop can repair it.

as you can see, even more serious damage can be repaired.
  4. the neck on the Epiphone is maple and 20frets?

you could have the rout altered (widened?) to accomodate a Fender style neck (also if the neck has a fretboard extension it would cover up the square joint gaps)-
    and you'd have with a John Entwistle-style "Fenderbird", which would be cool- just watch for neck-dive with full-size elephant ear machineheads...
  5. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Hmmm, do the new GIBSON Thunderbirds tend to be a little stronger due to the nine-ply neck???

Also, how did it happen???
  6. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I'd get it fixed if at all possible. I never liked putting new parts on older basses, it doesn't have that same feel. I had a MIA P bass that broke in two spots and I put a new neck on it and it sucked. I got the old neck repaired and it was like the good old days.
  7. Dominic82

Jun 12, 2003
    I went to a few guitar shops and they said I could probably have the neck repaired, i need to get a price quote, though it would be kinda cool to have an Entwistle style thing. The damage occured last week :bag: I was really wasted and had a misunderstanding with my g/f and took my depression out on my poor bass, I am so ashamed
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

The Gibsons have always had a problem with the headstock breaking, and they have always had a nine-ply neck, so the answer is no.
  9. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    My old T-Bird got decapitated when it fell from its stand on my wall. And like Blazer's photos above I got it repaired. They did an amazing job because you can't tell anything happened to it at all and it still plays and sounds great. So.....try to find a shop that know what they're doing and get it repaired before going the FenderBird route.
    Happy Times,
  10. I didn't realise that the 9-ply necks ever had the "auto heastock eject" problem. I knew the non-reverse, one piece mahogany t-birds did, as well as les pauls and sg's...heck, any one-piecer from that era, due to the angle of the headstock making that area really short-grain and weak, but the 9 ply must have to take some real abuse to break.

I have a 76 that I've had a few blows on, and it's pretty solid.
  11. Dominic82

Jun 12, 2003
    I decided to fix it myself, it broke at the heel so i just glued and clamped the splintered peices together, hopefully it will just be able pop back on and restring
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    If you're gonna fix it use this epoxy(tensile & compressive strength galore!):

I read about these guys on a luthier website. I am about to use the same stuff on an "experimental" bass(pawnshop P-clone) to convert it to headless....