1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need your help

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by pd1134, Sep 23, 2008.

1. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    which rackmount compressor do you think is the best

2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    DBX160 would work great in most any circumstance, if you're talking about bass. I don't use/like compression live, but in the studio I've got a Purple MC77, API 525, and Distressor. I use those very sparingly.

JMJ

3. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i cant believe you responded! ha ha ha, im new i just wasnt expecting it. have you tried the dbx 266xl at all?

4. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    That's cool! I have not heard that one, no.

5. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've used both. The 266XL is good for the price point, but it isn't nearly in the same sonic league as the 160. If you're budget-limited, the 266XL is far better than the Alesis and Behringer units that make up its competition.

The 160 is a full-on pro comp.

-Mark

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Mark about nailed it. I used an earlier model 266x for years and it did a fine job. Very low noise and transparent for an inexpensive compressor. I've ditched my rack so I don't use it anymore and I'll be posting it for sale on here soon, but it's a good piece of gear for the money.

7. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    ive seen you guys on here a lot and you posted on my thread, holy ****! haha im new im just being giddy.

but yeah, im not on a budget, more like a journey jk, but this website has been pretty much my mentor when it comes to bass, im completely self-taught besides reading whats on here. and you guys (YOU GUYS MEANING EVERY MEMBER ON HERE) have transformed what i know about bass. so please help me on this one.

so like i was saying here's the deal, i was just kicked out of my first band (for god's knows what reason i wrote 90% of the music) and now it is time to redue my setup. by going all rack.

i brought home a ampeg svt6pro home a couple of months ago, i was previously playing a older model svt3pro and even though they are both kinda "high-end" heads, the svt6pro kills that thing, the svt6pro pretty much made me say "oh! thats bass tone!"(oh and i may be wrong but im pretty sure its safe to say that the compression on the head is not that good)

so yeah i have an svt6pro and now im lookin to add on a SANSAMP RBI (i use to use the Bass DriverDI and f#$%ing loved it), a compressor, and the monster pro3500 power center.

so yeah there's what i got so far, now i just need a good rack compressor.
    now that i have actually done some research
    should i:

a. go with a dbx 166xl (ive done enough research to say that the 266xl is out of the question)

b. the dbx 160a

c. or, now this one is kinda out there to see what you guys might think...
    get a BBE MAX-T (i heard they are for lack of better words, the ****) and just use the compression on that instead of the sansamp RBI and a rackmount compressor?

im sorry i know its a lot, but you guys are all i got haha, I NEED YOUR HELP EVERYONE PLEASE AND THANK YOU!!!!!!! :eek:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I'd go with the 160. Industry standard.

9. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If budget isn't an issue, then you're right. Don't bother with the 266XL.

The 166XL is a step up, but if you can spare the cash get the 160 (used is a great option...they pop up in the classifieds here regularly). You see that JMJ chimed in in favor of it as well, and that cat has chops and ears that most of us will only dream of having (he's too modest, if you ask me).

There are a few folks around here who would disagree (I think Bongo is one of them). We've all got opinions. :)

I can speak to the BBE BMAX-T (that's what you were referring to, right?). I had a BMAX-T for awhile; if you like the Sansamp BDDI, get the RBI, not the BBE. It's a great pre, but it doesn't do the overdrive sounds like the Sansamp will. I also never really liked the comp on it...I'm a picky person when it comes to compression, and I could never get it set where I was really happy with it.

-Mark

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I hope Justin doesn't look down on us for using compressors live ;)

11. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    We'll be shunned. It's ok. Happens to me all the time.

:p

12. pd1134

pd1134

Aug 27, 2008
    Chantilly, VA
    i didnt even know you really weren't supposed to use compression live. i feel so out of the loop

but yeah does that set up sound nice, the rbi-160-svt6pro and the monster pro3500?

and oh yeah i have a really imortant question, ok so you know the peak light on the amp (i know this sounds really noob but)? well its supposed to light up a little right? i dont have the manual but i remember reading it sayin to turn up the gain until it lights up but does not stay lit while strumming. which is correct?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL! Actually that's just a reference to Justin not liking compressors on his rig. You're more than welcome to use a compressor on your rig if you like it. I do. A lot of others do, too. I also went 25 years without using one on my rig, too, so it's very much an optional pedal.

14. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Justin just doesn't use it live. We're just being our usual smart-butt selves. :D

Seriously, go ahead and use it if you like it. Jimmy does, and I do as well. It's entirely a personal thing. Even at JMJ's level, some folks use them, some don't. Totally personal preference.

The peak light depends on the amp. Some amps have lights that give you a bit of a warning, some come on just before the clip point. The manual is your best bet to find out for sure. I rarely get close to the clip point on my LMII, but you do want to run the pre on any rig at a decent level (best signal-to-noise ratio).

-Mark