1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Needing Rocknroll Thunder (rig so far)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by frankz, Sep 29, 2009.

1. frankz

frankz

Sep 29, 2009
    hey guys im normally a guitar player but got a gig playing with a biker type rockband that has reputation for playing very very very loud... old bass player had an ampeg svt with 8 10 cab and a acoustic 370 with 18 folded horn so yep.... gotta make some noiz
    lots of deaf bikers in dorothy land where i live

well my rig so far is a btb 565 bass a cord and an ART prochannel tube vocal preamp compressor channel going into a crown 602..... just stuff i had around the house for recording and live... if i ran 4 4x10 cabs @2ohm it would be like 800 watts per side

anyhow id like to use it as im a poor broke basterd....
    my plan is to get 2 410 cabs buy one at a time of course then play a couple gigs and add on ... cheap ones like a harke or acoustic or behringer and just plan on blowing speakers sooner rather than later and replacing them with quality drivers from a wholesaler....

for example.... does the cab itself make that much diff in sound if it has good drivers in it.... would a behringer sound bad with eminece kilos or something selineum or what ever i have yet to decide on drivers.. sorry for the mispellin

my thought is that i may be able to get a abetter final product or am i all wet on this.... i used to work for a hometheater manufacture and familiar with the "quality" of drivers put into finished products.. usually the cheapist they can get by with

im a noob to bass rigs as a guitar player but this was the plan... do i need to rethink it or any other suggestions... again im only gonna be able to spend 300$ or so a pop and i need something to start giggn with

also can you even make a rig that sounds good out of a crown power amp and an art tube prochannel... it has tube compression and a million tone knobs... its just rock and roll no slapping needed

thanks......
    :help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help:

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, the cabinet itself is a major compnent in the overall sound of a bass cab. Better to get middle of the road cabs, then cheap crappy ones. Great speakers in a crap cab still sounds like crap. Decent speakers in a great cab sound way better.

3. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    Don't waste money on low quality cabs...I went that route for a few months. Sounds like junk and I hate moving the cab around (a 100lb GK BLX410). I much prefer the Mesa 2x15 I bought off craigslist which is not only lighter but looks sexier and sounds better :)