1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Negative Avatar Experiences

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vyse933, Apr 25, 2009.

1. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    Everybody raves about Avatar.

I wanna know if anybody out there has something bad to say about avatar bass cabinets.

I'm not looking to start a big argument, I would just like to know both sides of avatar.

2. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    The tweeter is crossed over too low and the bass driver is not smooth as it extends to the range that is better covered by a dedicated midrange unit. However, this is common in bass cabinets and an acceptable and in some cases, desirable sound.

3. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006
    And if you do a search for Burdizzo's Mod or go to Harmony-central.com's forums and do the same search, you'll find a way to circumvent this for only $100 and a few hours. Or $200 if you have to have a tech do it.

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    They don't come standard with casters.
    One of the ways they keep prices down.

5. i know a guy locally who used to have an avatar 4x10, and he said it basically fell apart. i don't know much more than that, just that he was gigging with it regularly and i guess the construction quality wasn't that good. he could have got a lemon, though.

6. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Either that or the guy is hard on his equipment?

Or one bad fall, which could damage any cabinet if it's in the right spot.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    They're a solid, good quality, budget bass cab. Draw from that whatever you wish, but fact is, for the price, they're hard to beat. If money is no object, they're easy to beat.

8. the tweeter in my 2x12 is turned off because even at a mid level it would buzz loudly
    when its off it killer and now that i paired it with a 1x18 its even better

but its a killer cab at an even better price Im sure Edens,Genz Benz, and other high end cabs sound better but it kills 700+ ampeg cabs Ive tried

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Hopefully it's 'almost off' or you technically disabled it, because if you keep it turned off completely and use the cabinet you'll burn up the crossover.

10. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    This

11. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

A wonderful quote that applies to so many things in life.

12. I believe its not all the way off but "almost" off i put it half way and it would buzz and I mean loud, since i adjusted it to that way no more buzz, and sounds better too

13. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    1.The Foster tweeeter is a little harsh but I turn it down on my B210 cab. Besides tweeters tend to always be a little harsh. Other than that I can't say much negative.

2. The carpet covering started to come up on my B210 Delta inside the front ported area. I re-glued it with a spray adhesive. Other than that one nit picky little thing that I could have easily ignored I can't say anything negative about it's performance.

I have heard Bergatino, Schroeder and Accugrove cabs that sound better hands down then my Avatar but they cost 3 times as much. If I played professionally I could see the benefit of paying for one of those but for the other 90% of the bass playing world you can't go wrong with an Avatar cabinet.

14. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I find the horn to be harsh as welll and rarely use it. I have had my 212 Delta for several years now. Every once in a while I think about selling it but I always hang on to it. I have heard more expensive cabinets that sounded worse.

15. MooseLumps

MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland

Some jerk in Idaho can out-design major multinational corporations with their millions and history? and offer said product for less money? This sir, I cannot believe.

That is, till I owned 2 Avatar's and discovered the truth of this concept.

Ok,negative time. the two I bought were purchased a few months apart, from the factory. Both had the expanded metal grills, but each was oriented a different direction (180 degree rotation, not 90 or 45 or anything). because the medallions are thin and glued on, I felt I had no recourse but to live with the issue. I never did call dave, but I'm sure if i would have, he would have helped me out somehow. I just wish they would get their act together and mount all the grills facing the same direction.

16. bluedyna

bluedyna

Dec 4, 2008
    Birmingham, AL
    I had a problem in the beginning with a 410 8 ohm. One speaker was "open". It left the cabinet with 2 speakers that totaled 16 ohm. Paired with an 8 ohm 212. The difference in impedance caused twice as much current through the 212 and blew a 12" speaker in it as well. Called Avatar up. they sent two replacement speakers. Problem fixed with no new issues.
    Both the 410, 212 and Ampeg SVT-6 Pro amp (in case) fell over in the street Saturday night. Big crash but, everything played great!
    No problems with Avatar for me.