Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neuser System

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Classical_Thump, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    I am thinking of getting a Neuser Systems Bridge to put in my old Fender Jazz Bass. They look really cool, and I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with them?

http://www.neuserbasses.com/nfs.html

2. basslag13

basslag13

Apr 16, 2005
    that looks interesting. I wanna know also.

3. How does this work????

Making a bass sound fretless by doing something to the bridge? How does it do that?

4. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    am very interesting.and god bless Fender players..... :D

5. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    Did you listen to the sample? Wow.

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    samples? no..where......let my check the link again.... :confused:

7. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Wow sounds very,very melodic :eek:

8. I think Dominique Di Piazza (French bassist) did the recording.
    I also think that the system consists of a small piece of metal inside the bridge that touch the string while this one is vibrating(if you know what I want to mean....for my part I don't:p ). That produce an effect similar to fretless bass, that's a cool system that doesn't sound really fretless on slides (because there's still the graduation of frets) but at least it produces a cool mwahmy sound.

9. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Yea Dominique did the recording abnd he is literally mindblowing at bass. But I think it works but somehow letting the string vibrate in a different way. I am very close to purchasing one, but I am wondering whether it would be a direct swap for a standard Fender bridge or if I would have to do some drilling/re-routing?

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Since they're individual bridge saddles I'm sure you'll have to drill a few more holes. Also, make sure you have an extra inch or so between the end of the body and your current bridge - although that shouldn't be a problem at all with the jazz body.

I've heard this system on Front Page, it sounds great and very fretlessy, although it doesn't quite have the same fundamental warmth of a wood fingerboard. Who cares though, it probably vastly increases the versatility of your bass.

Do it!

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

Yeah, sounds nice - but what does it cost?

Dan K.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played a bass with that bridge on it before. The luthier who installed it was raving about it. I must admit that it was a reasonable facsimile of the fretless sound. You don't get the smooth fretless glisses, but it does a nice imitation of a fretless when you play a note and hold it. Having said that, I'd never buy one.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OBTW, someone was asking how it worked...I am a little fuzzy on this since it was a while since I played that bass, but the saddle has a cover that you move back and forth, and when it's one way the saddle remains stationary, and when it's the other way the saddle wobbles in a way that imitates a fretless.

14. ALLPARTS have Neuser system. Retail price for 4 string 285 USD and up, 5 str. - 345 and up.

www.allparts.com
    search for "Neuser"

15. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    Yes, I am still torn between just going for a new fretless neck or getting one of these bridges. They seem very interesting but for the price of buying the bridge and installing it, it might actually be cheaper to get a new fretless neck!

16. an interesting thing about the fretless-simulating bridges (there was also a clip-on "fretless at the flick of a switch" device advertised in BP a few years ago) and also effects, is that the mwah is applied also to open strings and harmonics, whereas on a real fretless bass these would sound like on a fretted bass.

so you'd never get your rendition of, say "Portrait of tracy" to sound exactly the same.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thump, look at it this way...if you want a hamburger really bad, you can buy a veggie burger that is a reasonable facsimile but it's not a hamburger. And a bass with a Neuser bridge is a reasonable facsimile of a hamburg...er...fretless bass, but it's not a fretless. If you want a fretless, buy a fretless.

18. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    however, if you decide that the meat in the burger is not for you, then you are better off with your healthy veggie burger.

That is: you can switch back to normal fretted tone at the flick of the switch and you can play chords much easier.

Confused enough now? :D