Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neutrik Speakon Cables? Difference?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by spikesstickies, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Hey i was actually wondering, what really is the difference when we use speakons to connect the head to the cab rather then using the usual 1/4" cables? I mean sure we use them but what really is the difference, was always told to use them in replacement of the 1/4" when using at full output strength or whatever. Any ideas?

Cheers, Spike

2. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Four advantages:

1) Locking, so the cable can't come unplugged at a bad time.

2) Due to the design, the positive and negative contacts can never touch the wrong part of the plug, so no popping on insertion/removal.

3) More contact area, so you get a better conductive connection (important at the high currents in use with powerful power amps).

4) Makes mono bridging extremely easy.

3. Oh alright, thanks alot but what exactly is mono bridging?

4. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    When you run both channels of a stereo power amp as one large channel in mono, getting a lot more power out of the amp than either channel can provide by itself.

For more info, check the FAQ in the Amps forum.

5. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    A little story:

-I was 'Fixing" a local club's sound rig (imagine "Ghetto" rigging used throught the entire system) I finally get he mains all connected right, and proceded to re-wire the moniters. Five moniters on two channels; no biggie, I thought.

Turns out the moniters were cheapies, and only had 1/4 connecters (two wired in parellel for daisy-chaining the cabs together) Upon plugging everything in, I noticed a huge drop in SPL on the moniters at the end of the line. The problem was the 1/4 connecters. Not having any speakons on me, I cut one of the wires in the middle, used a splicer and ran that to the amp.

needless to say, I'm using only speakon's now.