1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New American vintage or custom shop?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riscado, Apr 2, 2013.

1. riscado

riscado

Mar 9, 2013
    I'm on the market for a 60s type precision bass.

I currently have a 50s precision, which I love and intend to keep. However this time I was looking to move up a few steps.

The new american vintage 63 precisions look amazing, however, having owned several custom shop guitars in the past, I can't stop but thinking that maybe going a step further into a custom shop precision could be the right move.

Has anyone had the chance to compare both the new AV 63s and custom shop basse (59-63).

Thanks

2. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    No I have never compared the two......But I am sure both would be fantastic!

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Find a good custom builder to build you exactly what you want. There are a lot of great builders that can build you a fantastic bass in the $2,000 range. I'll let others chime in on their favorite builders, but do a search on Ben Lindsey. He builds really great quality basses and has first rate customer service.

4. riscado

riscado

Mar 9, 2013
    I believe there are some very nice builders out there. But at this moment I prefer going with a fender.

5. As soon as my local music shop gets the new American Vintage '63 Precision I'll be able to compare it to my Custom Shop '59 Precision... which I ended up picking up used for far less than the street price of the new AV basses. I'll have to chime in again in a few weeks!

6. riscado

riscado

Mar 9, 2013
    that would be immensely helpful... thanks

7. Mastermold

Mastermold Supporting Member

I have three of the previous AV basses and two CS basses. While I haven't played or even held one of the new AV basses, assuming they are at least as good as the previous AV instruments you're getting essentially a NOS CS bass without a quartersawn neck, which actually (arguably) makes them more accurate reissues since the old Fenders were all flat sawn necks anyway. I'm sure either will make you happy. I'd still go CS if money is no object, and given the price increase they're closer in price anyway.

8. monroe55

monroe55

Mar 17, 2009
    I own a Fender AVRI 1975 Jazz Bass. I purchased it used from someone who didn't know much about it. How can I tell if it is a custom shop build?

9. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I plated a CS 58 the other day at a shop in Santa Monica....it was amazing, but somewhere around $4600

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I own an American 63 P bass reissue. Great bass that I have owned for several years now.

The basses you are looking at are new models so I have not seen the in stores yet. In general and this might be a gross generalization, I have been underwhelmed by the custom shop bass I have tried in the past. They were very fine instruments but their cost was really high compared to what you got. If money is no object I would say custom shops are great choices, they sound great and play great. If money is not unlimited, the vintage reissues might be a better path. You get more bang for the buck IMHO.