New Amp Quandry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by 7thbass, May 2, 2005.

1. 7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I was in a car wreck and lost my bass amp, rack, and an old Lexicon Alex. Also lost a car. Happily, I am bruised and sprained but not broken, and will be back to playing bass in another month or so.

In any event, I am replacing an Ampeg B5r, which had a great plug-in-play tone, sat well in the mix, sounded great in both my blues/classic rock and Rush projects. I play an AmJazzStd with maple fboard and a fretless Cort B4Fl Artisan.

I am of two minds on replacing this setup.

On the one hand, there are used eden WT400's, which I have demoed, and which I like, and which are light. Could throw in an old computer bag.

There are Traynor YBA-200's, which are not too heavy, since don't need a rack, and would have tubey goodness. Cannot demo, but liked the 100w V4b I heard at G****r Center lest week.

I have a line on an Alembic preamp, which I have demoed years ago and remember as righteous. Could pair that with an inexpensive power amp.

Problem is, I can't demo them together.

I am looking for a round sound, play with my fingers, and do not slapapopawacka too much. Would need to cut through two guitarists and harmonica (i.e. three fender bassman rsissues) keyboard and a moderately loud drummer. Think Gov't Mule/Allman Bros./Los Lonely Boys/ZZ Top.

Often have PA support. I think the Jazz sounds good with about anything, but the fretless is a bit more complex.

Budget will be around 600-900, depending on insurance settlement.
  2. 62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    You might consider the Yorkville Sound 800 watt head. It should fit into your budget and from your description of the sound you go for should be a great, reliable replacement. The Traynor 200, while it will sound very good, may not give you the headroom you need.

If you could arrange to try them both out at the same time you'll be able to easily decide.

Good luck on getting back to playing.