1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Ampeg V4B worth the money?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kurt, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Hi, just wondering if people think the V4B is worth the price tag. I'm looking for a lower wattage tube head to get a bit of distortion if I want it but would like the option to dial it out. There's a V3 for sale locally for $750 and it's cool but no master volume. Will I get a lot more headroom with the V4B? Also there's a bassman 135 for sale for $300. Will I be happier spending the money for the new V4B?

2. I don't know. But I think they're worth the price.

Moosehead1966 likes this.
  3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    If working and unmolested that a heck of a deal! Just remember that the EQ is boost only on the lows and highs and cut only on the mids so start at 0-10-0 NOT 5-5-5 or you'll hate it !

BlacknWhite likes this.
  4. Yeah, I guess I don't really expect someone to predict if I'll be happy.

I guess I'm interested in if people think the new ones have more clean headroom than the old ones? Anyone know how much volume difference there would be between a vintage V3(basically a B25) and the v4B?

How about comparing the v4B vs the bassman 135?

5. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The V4B has more clean headroom than the Fender 135 and the current 100T. I have owned them all. To my ears this is because to my ears it sounds more harmonious when pushed, sounding cleaner, and does not go into a dirty overdrive so early.

6. Dp1363

Dp1363

Jan 8, 2011
    New Jersey US
    I love the sound of my new V4b.

bassman1161 likes this.
  7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    You can’t directly compare prices of the V3 and V4B reissue. Vintage amps often require servicing and parts to bring them up to spec. You are at the mercy of how good your tech is and what the final cost will be.

New amps with a warranty usually win out cost wise in these sort of comparisions.

ezra1 and coreyfyfe like this.
  8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Agreed 100%. My amps are all vintage, but I usually buy them cheap in need of repair and do the service work myself. If I had to pay a tech to keep my amps in good condition all the time I'd likely be in for more than the cost of a comparable new amp. Not to mention the unknown service/usage history and ampeg's penchant for oddball tubes in the older models it just makes the new versions a no brainer for most users.

On the Bassman 135 vs V4B - I don't really care for the big UL power amp of the late 70s fenders. Very big and clean, but big and clean to a fault. Great for a pedal platform but not the best if you want any drive from the amp. $300 though is a great price. I'd assume it needs some serious work at that price.

9. bassman1161

bassman1161

Dec 23, 2010
    I just tried one of these in a GC here in Jersey and i gotta say it sounded great. Clean and punchy. I played it through a 212-AV and this in my honest opinion is the best match i heard with all the cabs available for me to compare. I know the circuitry is Chinese and not too sure how long they will last but i am going to get one used (Not worth $1200. sorry) I had a '71 V4B years ago and the new one is cleaner and half the weight. Good luck with it.

RoadRanger likes this.
  10. bassman1161

bassman1161

Dec 23, 2010
    Agreed!

ezra1 likes this.