New Bass Day (well... it was on Friday)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3toes, Mar 1, 2010.

1. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Already posted in the Lakland thread, but figured I'd share with the rest of the group :)

hollowbody002.jpg

Got a Lakland Skyline Hollowbody equipped with Chi-Sonic pickups. This thing is great, plays incredibly easy. Sound is absolutely wonderful. VERY warm but retains clarity amazingly well. Excellent blend of vintage and modern tones.

2. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    beautiful bass.

3. bassman0221

bassman0221

Sep 30, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Congrats! Looks great

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Bueno basso.

5. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass.

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    Gorgeous.

Man, when are the folks at Lakland going to give us 5-string players a little love with the hollow bodies and the chi-sonics?

:confused:

6. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Thanks all.

Man, I couldn't even imagine this thing as a 5-string. The low end is absolutely MASSIVE as is!

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I'm looking for something like this!
    Got a soundclip yet? Those Chi-Sonics are just insane.

8. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Not yet, hopefully tonight or tomorrow. I was hoping to put a set of La Bella flats on it, but my worn-in set didn't fit since they were cut for a different bass, and I had forgotten that I pulled the A-string from an unused spare-set to replace a dead/broken-core string. So for the moment it has some Chromes on it, but I'm ordering a replacement La Bella.

The rounds it shipped with sounded alright, but kind of carried a mid-scoop sound to my ears. Plus, a hollowbody just SCREAMS for flats imo :)

Like I said, in humbucker mode, the sound is just MASSIVE. The neck pickup carries the bottom, and the "bridge" carries the punch. And I put bridge in quotes simply because this pickup is so close to the "sweet-spot" I feel silly calling it a bridge pickup. It really does have a ton of bite and punch.

Single-coil mode produces a thinner, and broader sound. But again, incredibly clear and defined. Just not as much bottom as in humbucker mode.

9. Very nice!

10. DERECOLA

DERECOLA

Aug 21, 2006
    PA
    wow that is sweeeeeettttt

11. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I just listened to the clips on the Lakland website. Would you say the general sound is much like the clip on the site?

12. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    In terms of the roundwounds, yes absolutely so. As for the flats, since Chromes are on the brighter side of the flats spectrum in my experience... well, you see where I'm going with that.

But yes, I'd say the audio clips on the Lakland site are a good representation of the tones you can get from this bass.

13. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Furthermore, I plan on going back to some Ken Smith Slickrounds for when I want some more bite out of it instead of going full-blown rounds. For the time being, this is going to be my main player.

Just such a unique, distinctive sound...

14. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Good to know!!!
    I was also asking because I wasn't sure if Lakland "tweaked" their soundclips for business.

Thanks man!

15. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    No problem. I think that's a fair concern to have.

Here's a quote from the page on the website talking about the recording process:

"I record all of the bass tracks on a Pro Tools system through a Demeter preamp and Apogee converters. No EQ is used at all in the recording of the basses. In mixdown, I generally use light compression on the basses, with a conservative 3:1 ratio. The compressor is a software-based McDSP CB-1. I set the tone controls wide open on all the basses and in the case of active basses, all EQ controls are set flat. The tracks are mastered with McDSP software. "

http://www.lakland.com/ac_intro.htm

16. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Oh, and naturally it was great for playing a few Dead tunes and getting that nice Phil Lesh tone with a pick :)

17. 3toes

3toes

Aug 30, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Also forgot to mention I had them install a bone nut for me. Definitely seems to sing out! :)

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021