Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rashbeep, Nov 6, 2005.

1. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    hey guys im in a bit of a dilemma here..

checked out a couple basses: (ibanez) sr405, sr500, rd505, sr400, etc.

my problem is that i don't know if i want 5 strings or 4 strings for my next one.
    I really liked the sr500 and the sr405, but playing on a five strings, is just like... uncomfortable. I really want to slap quite a bit with this bass but i really like slapping on four, because its a lot easier. I have a GSR200 right now, so do you guys think i could just get a 5er and leave the slapping to that bass? please help :help:

2. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    You could very easily leave the slapping to the GSR200. But, what makes you wanting the 5 string so bad. I've found that there really isn't much use for the low b-eb notes. And i wouldn't be looking at Ibanez's, but to each there own. Get what feels comfortable, and what you think you need. If you just want the 5th string just to have it... get the 4. If you can see a good use, get it. It took me awhile to get used to my 5 string at 1st, and decided I didn't like it, so I switched back to 4. But i can still play a 4,5 or 6.

3. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    well to tell you the truth, i really would like to have 5 strings because i'm really into stuff like dream theater and i'd really like to play their stuff and it can't be done without the b string (unless you play an octave higher) also my brother's got c tuning on his guitar (he's made some interesting stuff that's very similar to dream theater) and i'd like to play along with him. i've tried playing it an octave higher, but it could sound better playing an octave lower. other then that, I have no uses for a 5er.

4. SRX 705 are really nice basses. What kind of amp do you have? And what kind of music Do you play?

5. The only reason not to get a 5 string would be if you slapped a lot and didn't want the extra string or tighter spacing to get in the way. Since you already have a 4, I'd recommend getting a 5. I often find myself wanting to go lower. Especially when I'm playing in Eb or B/Bb. It's always nice to have more options.

If you want the lower notes, but want to stay 4 string, you could always get a new 4, and then tune your old 4 BEAD or CDGA or wherever you want it. There are no rules here.