1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New blender launched: Schertler Yellow Blender

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ivanbass, Jan 14, 2012.

1. ivanbass

ivanbass

Oct 15, 2006
    Pamplona (Spain)
    Hello guys. Has anybody heard about this branch new? It´s a refurbished model of the Stat Pre III, but you can mix two channels (one for a mic and one for a pick up), insert an effect loop or a looper, and send to phones, DI, unbalanced XLR and balanced XLR. It features phantom, pads, reson, etc.
    As everybody can guess, it´s quite more expensive than the old model... here 625€ plus VAT. But it´s by Schertler, a guarantee.

Please, take a look:

preamplifiers-yellble-en

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    But .... it's blue!?

Looks good, not quite set up for DB (EQ points aren't bad, but HPF is set pretty high -- I'd prefer a lower corner frequency and higher slope), but for that kind of money, might as well get an EA Doubler, or AI Whatever. Merely my view of course, and I'll bet the quality is outstanding.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Growler Box,
    +1 if I did the conversion correctly it costs $925.00 in U.S. dollars. I agree, getting an EA Doubler would make way more sense IMHO. Schertler gear is just to expensive, and frankly I haven't heard that many Bassists that are in love with it. Dyn-B's go up for sale on a regular basis from players who can't get em to work for them. You could buy three Headway EDB-1's for that price. Just wish the EDB-1 had 48v phantom but I can live with 18v and a single channel.

Ric

4. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    Yeah -- that's about 1200 Kiwi, plus shipping and any taxes. I'd want it to carry my bass too, for that kinda cash.

5. Frits

Frits

Sep 21, 2007
    Belgium (Europe)
    I would definitely give it a try since it offers 48V phantom power instead of the 18V of the Headway EDB-1 (advantage 1). I'd use it to power my Bergantino IP112 from a distance (balanced in - advantage 2). Is it suited (enough) for double bass, is my main concern... But if so, that would be advantage 3. Any comments?

6. ivanbass

ivanbass

Oct 15, 2006
    Pamplona (Spain)
    Thanks for your answers.
    First of all, I think that we all agree that the question is weather it´s suitable or not to double bass. Second agreement... I guess that is hardly affordable.
    But I found some advantages.
    Channel 1 (mic): I agree that the cut in "reson" is quite high. I´d prefer 100hz than 150hz. But I use a md421 (no more condensers at stage!!!), that has 5 bass cuts. I usually don´t find any problems in big stages, not so at bars. Sometimes I must roll 1 or 2 positions because of the stage conditions, that make the sound worst, but get the boomy problems away. Though I use the 421, it´s interesting the 48V to use at home with my Rode Nt2A, that could be a second goal of this gear: recording.
    Channel 2 (pick up): the warm button sounds as a great feature, designed to the extremely nosiy high frecuencies of pick ups as mine: schertler stat-B. The low cut could be a tool more suitable to guitar -it cuts below 120hz...not very useful with a pick up that needs bass fq. and spare highs-.
    General features: it works as a splitter, sending to PA as well as your cabinet, or a recorder. I swear that if it works well, I´ll buy my AER amp and I go to gigs with the blender an a simple active box (half weight for my back´s sake!!!!), with a 15´ instead of 12´. It´s interesting as well the -15db pad in each of the channels, the phase reverse button and the send-return option (I wanna experience with loopers).

So, I think that everything could be solved just proving...but it´s quite expensive. Well, I´ll wait to the test, unless I´m beaten in my head and I wake up willing to buy it.

Thanks for sharing your experience and sorry by my english!!!