*NEW* Cort A5 Beyond (fan-fretted)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Les BeeBee, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    This new bass guitar has quietly made an appearance this week.

The Cort Artisan A5 Beyond.
    It came to my attention when this YouTube video popped up a few days ago (runs 3:27):

My first thought is that this is a poor person's Fodera bass. Maybe it is. I don't know about you, but I can't afford a Fodera right now, so the Cort might be the next best thing for the rest of us.

I'm not exactly sure of what the differences are between this new A5 Beyond and the previous A5 Multi-scale SCMS. But comparing photos, it looks like the A5 Beyond has a deeper cutaway than the SCMS (maybe the cutaway extends 'beyond' the fingerboard.)

thumb-A5Beyonddetail2_420x420.jpg

For me, a deeper cutaway is a good thing, to reach those higher notes. It also has a different finish to the previous model. The specs say it has a bubinga top on ash body, with an African panga panga neck and fingerboard.

I love playing high melodies on the bass, so this instrument interests me a lot. But I also still like playing rock, so I don't know if an instrument like this could do both.

Attached Files:

2. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    Beside the horn cut little deeper, those knobs are no longer with Hipshot O-ring knobs.

nuage420b and Aidil like this.
  3. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I can see no reason it can't rock hard and play beautiful melodies up high. All in the player. Rock it!

4. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    Well spotted, Yahboy. The knobs don't have those rubber ring grips around them that the previous A5 SCMS model did.

Image of Hipshot O-ring knobs:
    KnobChrome_800x.jpg

All-metal knobs would be fine by me. When I first saw the rubber grips on the previous model's knobs, my first thought was that rubber is a material that tends to degrade and brake down with age.

I'm hoping Cort can knock an extra $100 or $200 off this model. Standard knobs. Maybe they'll ship it without a case (the A5 SCMS came with a case.)

nuage420b likes this.
  5. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    Thanks for the advice, kesslari. I would love to rock hard with this bass.

Then again, I've never once seen a single rock band using a single-cut bass. But that wouldn't bother me. I'd be happy to be seen playing any style of music with a single-cut.

6. AMp'D.2play

AMp'D.2play Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2010
    NJ
    Looks like another difference is the Beyond has a Bubinga top, whereas the SCMS has a spalted maple top.

Overall, I liked the SCMS that I played about a week ago, but one drawback - for me - was that the 16mm string spacing at the bridge would take some getting used to. Haven't totally ruled it out; just might need to spend some more time with it before I pull the trigger. And while I'm strictly finger-style, there are at least 2 videos on YT where players are slapping on it with no problem. The specs on the Beyond don't list string spacing, but I'd presume it's the same.

nuage420b likes this.
  7. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    Yes, it's interesting Cort went with a relatively narrow string spacing.

Could it be to make it easier to play chords? Or maybe the fan frets mean your finger is on an angle, so your stretch across the fingerboard is a bit longer, so the narrower string spacing compensates.

Cort seems very eager to demonstrate that you can play this bass with a slap style. The video linked above is almost 100% slap.

The Cort A5 Beyond isn't in the stores yet for you to try. In fact, apart from the manufacturer's website, there are no websites or publications that even mention the Beyond - we are the first here.

8. I bet you've seen plenty of rock bands using single-cut guitars though ;)

9. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    I played fretless in funk bands for years. If you rock it, it will rock. :D

JRA likes this.
  10. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

0000_1.jpg

per the OP: i thought i was looking at a good ol' NBD, OP! :laugh: it would surely be a beautiful one. but if you can afford that ax = use it whenever and wherever you've got the chops to play it! i'll be looking forward to your NBD! ;)

kesslari likes this.
  11. lucas303

lucas303

Mar 11, 2019
    Colorado
    The dude from Bell Witch uses a single-cut BTB.

monsterthompson likes this.
  12. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Is there a fretless version?

monsterthompson likes this.
  13. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Morticia... darling. I have no idea if there's a fretless version. My point is that "what a bass looks like" or "is supposed to be used for" (definitely in quotes there) is not the main determinate for how you can actually use it.

monsterthompson and ficelles like this.
  14. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Multi-scale bass and chord style playing don't exactly go along well. I've been playing a 6 string multi-scale basses in the last 4 years or so, and just last year I added another multi-scale bass, a 5 string one. Yes, playIng chords on a multi-scale bass is doable, but some chord fingering positions are best / more comfort performed on just an ordinary parallel fretted bass.

15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Reminds me more of a Thumb SC.

honhum6vsgzth5gx7il0.jpg

16. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    Funny, there was an old TalkBass thread from 2012, asking about non-jazz musicians using single-cut basses. I think they only came up with 2 single-cut musicians.

17. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Not my cup of tea because it's SC, but I do like it otherwise and have been gassing hard for an A5 Ultra, but need to sell a couple of others to justify it. Corts are very underrated and should be looked at by a lot more people as options. The last couple of year's models have been particularly interesting.

If you get it report back with what you think of it. I'd be interested in more feedback on the current models.

18. Les BeeBee

Les BeeBee

Oct 29, 2020
    Hi A9X. Do you not like single cut basses because of the appearance?

I like the look of the Cort A5 Ultra bass that you mentioned. Will you play rock with it? I see it has the Bartolini MK5 pickups and the Black Tusq XL nut. Two good inclusions. The Ultra looks more expensive, but still excellent value for what it is.

I'll post back if I eventually buy the Cort Beyond fan-fretted bass. It's not on the market yet. Some stores are saying it'll be available in March.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021