1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New gigbag - Mono Double

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kesslari, May 6, 2010.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    My birthday present to myself this year was a Mono double gig bag. http://www.monocase.com/mono-dual-bass.asp
    I do regular gigs with a funk band where I play 5 string fretless and 4 string fretted, and schelpping 2 gigbags was getting to be a minor drag. I had a Mono single and it was by far my favorite bag - protective, easy to carry, well built - so I sprung for the double.

I am really happy with this bag. It's been to a couple of rehearsals and gigs now, and it's solid, carries just enough stuff, protects my basses really well, and makes the cartage that much easier.

Great bag. Pricey, but well worthwhile.

2. I have a double Mono also. I love it. It's water resistant, durable, and comfy. I usually only bring one bass to practice in it but throw another in for gigs.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I hear tell only the handsomest men use Mono double gig bags.

4. Yep, I got mine from the classifieds here. Love it to death......and I must say I am a handsome lad myself.

5. travep

travep Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Austin, TX
    That mono looks nice...

I bought a Reunion Blues double a while back & I really love it. There's only one thing...My Fender Jazz American Standard doesn't fit in it. My AMS Precision (both 5 strings) fits but I have to streatch it a bit. I am thinking that if you market an expensive bag like that, you might want to make sure that Fenders fit in them, right? :mad:

My Lakland & my Sector fit just fine...but no Fender...

I can't find a link to my model...probably don't make it anymore. go figure. One thing, though...it protects my instruments like nothing else I've found...

6. Meatbass

Meatbass

Apr 30, 2010
    Frazier Park, CA
    I've never seen mono bags before. Wow! :D

7. it is indeed A LOT of money for a case! but with all those features listed on the webpage i think they have rocket scientists working on making gig bags

8. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I just had Brown deliver my Mono double bag. Looks really good! Has anyone tried flying with one of these? Are they too big for carry-on?

9. Ahh...here's the thread. :D Definitely a terrific bag. Got mine just over a week ago (FWIW, catch up on your sleep here), and it's been out three times now. Well worth the money, IMO.

I haven't, but I'd be very surprised if you were allowed on the plane with one. Best guess would be that it'd be checked at the gate with the baby carriers and other items that won't fit...last on-first off. Just my take on things, though - I don't fly much these days, and rarely do so with an instrument.

10. Expensive but well-well worth it! I tried emailing them to see if they had any plans to make a double bag fit for a bass one 1 side and an electric guitar on the other, but it was bounced back as undeliverable....has anyone else been able to get an email to go through to them?

11. JES

JES Supporting Member

Hey Mono Users:

I am about to buy a double M80, as it looks like it fits my needs, but I thought I'd check one last time first.

I'm planning a cross-country car trip. The basses would be in the trunk of a car with some boxes, suitcases, etc. They wouldn't be handled by anyone but of course there's always the possibility of getting bumped around during a day of driving or if we had to slam on the breaks.

Would you feel safe with your basses in this kind of situation in a Mono bag?

Thanks.

--JES

12. Yes I would feel safe.

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I would as well, so long as I knew how the trunk was packed. Even a hard case can get punctured if it's packed near a jack and you stop short, etc.

14. Doc Halo

Doc Halo Musician, heal thyself.

Oct 10, 2004
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I gotta say, I sold my Mono to a certain someone, and I miss it--a lot. At least it went to a good home! :D

15. I had a Reunion Blues double bag back in the day. They make a 'regular' and a 'tall' model, and for J basses, you would have had to order the 'tall' (I believe 49" versus the standard 47"... been a while... might have those absolute measurements wrong).

Never did like the Reunion double... high quality (nice leather), but heavy, and a single zipper design with a center partition.

The Mono bag has two totally separate compartments, each with its own zipper.. wonderful. Very high quality, and most importantly for a double bag, very lightweight (lighter than most single hybrid bags). The only downside I see is the very small accessory pocket, which is really only good for the basic 'bass' stuff... strap, a couple of cables, tuner, and a set of strings.

IMO!

16. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    NICE. i WANT ONE OF THOSE

17. Hoover

Hoover Banned

Nov 2, 2007
    New York City

Holy crap that is a nice looking case!

I have absolutely no justification for wanting one -- I already own slightly more cases than actual instruments, including a perfectly serviceable Mooradian double gig bag that I use regularly -- but day-um, do I want one of those Mono Double bags now!