Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalka621, Feb 12, 2006.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i need a new head for my rig i have to gk speakers each 200 watts at 8 ohms. Right now i am using a gk head that i think pumps out 125. Im not rally looking for a specific sound but i just wanted some ideas.

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Why are you getting a new head? What is the price range?

3. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    If you are happy with your GK head (I am with mine) get one of the more powerful GK Backline heads or if you have the cash how about an Artist series head?

Or maybe venture into a pre/power setup?

But to be honest it really depends on the type of music you play or the sound you are looking for. Which you are not specific about.

Do you have any kind of preferences concerning a head? That would be another way to look at it also.

:D

Joe.

4. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    i would go with the backline 600 but how much of a diffeence is that gonna make. Alsos i was just wondering if anybody has used one of those Carvin REd series amps they seem nice when i tried it but i wa splaying through a ampeg

5. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Well, since you will be more than doubling your power and you will be able to use both cabs there should be quite a bit of difference.

The 600 is 300w into 4 ohms and the 250 is only 125 into 8 ohms IIRC.

I have played through a couple of carvin red series amps. They are ok power wise but I did not care for the eq on either of them. There will be a big difference in the change of your tone going from a GK to a carvin. You may or may not like it.

We really need something to go by as far as what you want or can afford. As was asked before...What is your price range?

Joe.

6. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    o yeah sorry i coul dspend up to arund 400 $

7. Lowtonejoe

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Take a look at these.

Click.

As you can see there is a big gap at the $300 mark, it jumps to just over $400.

Is there any way you could save a bit more for the GK 400RBIV? It is one of their professional heads and well worth the money. Maybe look for one on E-bay?

Whaddaya think?

Joe.

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    For $400, go used and look for a GK, Hartke, Peavey, or Ashdown... play them all, decide which ones you like, then just keep your eyes open for a good deal. Go for about 300-400 watts at 4 ohms at least. Should be plenty to power two 200 watts/8 ohms cabs.

9. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I like the look of the Ashdowns how do they sound. (by "look" i mean price and watts)

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Get an ashdown MAG300 , sounds excellent, and pummps out a nice 300+ watts.

Ive been using mine for over a year, and it has served me well.

I plan on getting a new, GK, rig, this summer, though, but nothings wrong with the ashdown.

11. Volk

Volk

Dec 18, 2005
    South Jersey
    I've had an Ashdown MAG 300 for over a year as well, and it truly is an excellent head.

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I really like the Ashdown; it is my favorite head in the price range. They run about $350 I believe.

13. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    What kind of sound does it have?