New here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AllegroNonMolto, May 15, 2004.

1. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    I've been lurking here for about a week.

First off let me say what a wonderful forum this is. So well moderated and there are actually polite and helpful people here(on the internet even!). I took a look at the bass forum at harmony central and it just doesn't compare to you guys. Things like technique don't really get discussed there and that interests me far more than gear.

I am a 30 year old former classical guitar/composition major(dropped out 3rd year...that was 5 years ago).

I started on bass in a prog-death-metal band about 15 years ago(at the time there was no Cynic or Opeth and we were original!) and in about 1992 I stopped listening to metal altogether, discovered The Cure and Bauhaus, re-discovered Duran Duran(I worshipped them when I was like 13), and picked up the guitar. I played in a lot of bands and actually was signed to Cleopatra records in a goth band, but the band split right before we released our first cd.

Somewhere along the way I got sucked out of the indie/goth thing and into the classical thing and ended up going to school for it. I have been composing music on my own in my studio for a while now.

I recently(within the last 5 years) started really loving bands like Radiohead, Flaming Lips, newish Beck, Jeff Buckley, Prince, 60s-70s psychedelic/prog stuff, etc. I kind of subscribe to a theory that if it is british it is more than likely good....though I also have developed quite a taste for jazz guitar(Burrell, Charlie Christian, etc) and took lessons in that for about a year.

Over the last 3 months I had an epiphany and decided to return to the bass guitar and find a band. I picked up my old Aria Pro II magna series 5 string(crap I know) and installed EMGs and a decent saddle in it and started playing. Within a month I hooked up with some guys and we are rocking steady now with a britpop kind of thing, getting ready to start playing out, etc.

Basically playing the bass is a whole giant load of fun...

I found that my classical guitar technique transfered over very well to bass(though it was tough to learn to pluck without nails at first and switching from primarily free stroke to rest stroke was odd). I was never extremely fast on scales, etc on fingerstyle nylon but since I switched to bass I have jumped from 16ths at 90bpm to 16ths at 135bpm doing strict IM alternation so I think I am doing decently.

At any rate I still feel like a complete novice at this so I feel I will have many questions for you more experienced guys.

That's it. It's a novel I know but I'm like REALLY bored here at my job. :spit:
  2. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    And of course in typical idiot fashion I miss the introduction thread glaring at me from the top of the main forum.
  3. Welcome to talkbass AllegroNonMolto!!

4. AllegroNonMolto

May 15, 2004
    Not italian nope nope...yes that is just a tempo/feel for a lot of baroque pieces that I always tend to end up liking for some reason. Most common and well known example is the 1st movement of Vivaldi's Winter, from Four Seasons.

I'm a baroque nut. Pretty much played Bach exclusively in school. :)
  5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    *foams at the mouth*

I think its just that their Custom's services are better than ours (or vice versa?)

Greetings, and wonderful intro, I feel I know you.

I've been thinking about how it would be cool to start a britpop/Kinks-esque band. Of course, it'd be amerpop, but some friends of mine formed a J-pop band (that was really good, but broke up after like, 4 gigs :(), so I think it could work out.

Anyway, salutations and the like.