New Here

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ryandowler05, Nov 12, 2005.

1. ryandowler05

Nov 12, 2005
    I'm new here. I don't even own a bass yet. I want to get one and start playing though. Right now I play guitar. Do you guys have any advice for me as far as what bass or amp to buy or anything? I'm interested in metal bass solo type stuff like cliff burton.
  2. duo8675309

Jun 5, 2005
    :eek: You said the "g" word... :bag:
  3. whitedk57

May 5, 2005
    Franklin, NC

Bass > Guitar :hyper:
  4. ryandowler05

Nov 12, 2005
    well that's why I want to start playing bass :D
  5. ryandowler05

Nov 12, 2005
    what do you guys think of the peavey grind bass... that's the one I want to get
  6. I never played a Peavey bass. But if they're basses are anything like their amps, I'd avoid them.
  7. ryandowler05

Nov 12, 2005
    I was also thinking about getting a small 15 watt Hartke amp. Any thoughts on that?
  8. Skeletomania

Oct 25, 2005
    hong kong
    I have a Peavey millenium and I absolutely love it. If you have small hands and fingers the Peavey gives you better action on the neck than the other bass.
  9. On the amp front: peavey microbass. Blows pretty much any other beginner amp I've tried away.

My first bass was a Squier P. Nice enough, but just good enough to start. Some people here don't like Squier because it's actually fender, but I've nothing against them. Can't expect great performance from a cheap bass.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    At this stage, the bass and amp aren't all that important. There are tons of inexpensive basses on the market and they all blow away anything we had to start out with in the 70's. Same with amps, too. 15 watts is way too underpowered for anything but bedroom playing, but if you don't plan on jamming with a band any time soon, it should be fine for now.

11. +1 on the microbass...I've had mine for years...they sound great at low volume...

I tried a Squier Jazz a few weeks back and thought it was more than OK...also, I really like the Yamaha RBX-170 (great bang for the buck).
  12. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    what does this have to do with technique?
  13. radi8

Feb 10, 2004
    I think any low end bass will do..technique can be taught on any bass..:)
  14. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Moved to misc...can't put it in basses, cause amps are in it. Can't put it in amps, cause basses are in it...
  15. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Bass-SX take your pick of a 4 or 5 string Jazz.

Amp-Peavey Microbass

On a highly related note-try doing a search for "beginner suggestions" in the amp and basses forums-watch for how many different items come up.

Take it easy-if you want some more input from me-hit me on AIM.