Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New kid, new project! My 32" bass

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by T-34, Aug 11, 2005.

1. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Hello, everyone!

About a year ago I decided to build myself a bass and, finally, I started two months ago.
    During the last 15 years I serviced a whole bunch of guitars and basses (especially electronics) but never built something from scratch. So here it goes :)

Specifications:
    ° 32", 4 strings, 24 frets
    ° 3-ply set neck: Northern ash - Misterious wood (*) - Northern ash
    ° Body made of the same core as the neck + zebrano wings.
    ° MIJ jazz pickups, but arranged differently
    ° Passive electronics

* About this "misterious wood": I don't know what wood it is, it looks and weights (and has almost the same "tap tone") as the mahogany but unlike the mahogany, it's white (rougly the same color as the maple) .

The Sketch:
    [​IMG]

Some Wood:
    [​IMG]

Neck laminates:
    [​IMG]

Clamped:
    [​IMG]

Zebrano "ears" added:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body core glueing:
    [​IMG]

She's got wings!
    [​IMG]

Body roughly cut and layed out whith the parts (I couldn't resist!)
    [​IMG]

The next volume of this saga to be continued after my vacations - starting september.

2. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    AWSOME so far. Keep us posted> How long did you work on it so far?

3. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    About a 10 hours so far...

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Nice. Looking forward to seeing it take shape further. I like 32" scale basses.

5. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Today I contoured the body (1/2 roundower router bit) and routed the pickup cavities.

Now waiting for the birdseyes maple board from Larry Davis and the trussrod from my local supplier...

[​IMG]

I'll try to cut the forearm and belly contours tomorrow.

6. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Well, you look well underway! That looks like it's gonna turn out awesome. I can already tell it's gushing with that homemade sentimentality, moreso than usual. I've been sorta wanting a shortscale bass to string piccilo-style. That'll turn out awesome.

7. I really like that body design. Neat, clean, simple, with a couple of tight little visual sprites to make it interesting.

But I'm not keen on the pup spacing. That's that Warwick approach and I don't like i because I think it really limits the instruments voice. The reason for two pups is to get a picture of the string in 2 different places - different enough to really broaden the range without sounding like two different basses. I used your style spacing on the Jazzwick and it was the only disagreement I had with Jake over the design. I would have put another inch between them and had that thing rumbling AND growling. As it were, the best it could muster was some Grumbling! :D

8. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Sorta side-topic, ever thought about building something like that with a 3 pickup design? The dual-j's Warwick style, then perhaps something bigger and humbucking at the neck. Two pans, one for the J's, one for the neck vs. J's, so you can get that Warwicky growl and bassy thump. Or is that just pure madness?

9. If that were the goal, I would look for one of those double coil MM's from Nordstrand or something for the back pup, then the HB on the front.

10. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I know, that's not at all self-evident from the pictures, but the neck pickup is almost in the standard P-position (actually, in the position of the GD half of the P pickup). Anyway, this bass is not the last I plan to build, if this body design manages to get some succes, there will be hopefully more basses with other pickup configurations :)

Thank you all for the kind words!

11. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    I am one month behind the schedule :crying:

Yesterday: cut the truss rod channel, glued the fingerbord, side and front dots, cut the fret slots:
    [​IMG]

Today: Routed the neck cavity, reshaped a little bit the body side of the neck joint, radiused the fingerboard (16")
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    Is that going to be set in or bolt on?

13. Sweet looking bass. I really like it.

Keep up the good work (and keep the pictures coming!).

14. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Set in.

15. T-34

T-34

Aug 11, 2005
    France, Paris region
    Warning: spoiler picture :)

[​IMG]

I decided to match the headstock (with zebrawood veneer).

16. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    OUTSTANDING DESIGN AND CRAFTSMANSHIP!
    What woodworking experience do you have prior to this project?

Jon

17. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    looks great! I love the small fret markers.

18. wow! thats pretty cool!

19. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Good move. I thought the headstock looked kinda empty with the white center like that. Looking good all around! Keep it up!

20. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Good. The white center looks like you missed something. ;)