1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Mark Hoppus Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by .Anfield, Mar 1, 2008.

1. .Anfield

.Anfield

Feb 24, 2008
    Well, here it is...

[​IMG]

That is the one that he plays/posted on his myspace. I'm guessing that if they release a new one, it will look similar to that.

2. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Not too shabby!

3. I think that's the same as his "old" model just with a different paint job and pickguard. I've seen him use many basses that are the same exact model but with different paint and pickguard combos, so I don't think this is anything new.

4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The new model is just paint, pickguard, and flipped pup if I remember correctly.

5. that looks nice. Hoppus gets a nice tone on the blink records but have not payed to much attention to plus44.

6. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Sounds about right.

7. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    And a steep price increase.

8. Will and Matt

Will and Matt

Mar 30, 2008
    least it's a Fender

9. lowrider5

lowrider5

Jan 12, 2006
    ash body too

10. steve21

steve21 Banned

I'm personally not one for the one-piece pickguard (or tort, for that matter) but he made a smart choice flipping the P.

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd like it if it had the regular Jazz chrome control plate. I've never liked the one piece pickguard/control plate. Early MIM Jazzes had them, and I think it makes them look cheap.

Edit: oops, Steve 21 beat me to it by a couple of minutes.

12. Looks like it allows stringing through the body now, too.

edit: Oh wait, it's always been like that. But they've changed the headstock logo, and truss rod hole.

13. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    dumb question.. what does flipping the P pickup around do?

14. Siegy

Siegy

Jun 28, 2007
    Central Neb.
    make the p/g black an i'm all over it.

I'm a slut for black pickguards.

15. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    I'd imagine it would darken the tone on the higher strings ever so slightly, but I'm not sure if it would have any benefits beyond that.

Mark Hoppus's bass seems specifically designed to make me hate it (which is fitting, considering I've often thought the exact same thing about his playing [i kid, it was too good a joke to pass up.]), but it looks alright in that color combination.

16. Now that I look more at it, it doesn't look like they even switched the position of the pickups around, but, rather, only moved the coil serving the D and G strings. The one serving the E and A string is still in the normal position.

Compare:
    [​IMG]

Well, to be fair, Mark Hoppus isn't known for his cutting bass tone.

And I agree that the design is odd. J body with P neck? :meh:

17. Not too bad, I'll have to play it when it comes to my nearest GC ;)

18. Hate that damn logo on the first pic...

also the reverse PUP just looks plain odd, as does the lack of a tone knob, and I ain even gonna start on the body/neck thing, but if it works for you...

19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    no, he's not, but it does have a fair amount of grind and high mid in there... the bass in the opening of 'Online Songs' is reasonably cutting, as I recall

20. LMAO! Too funny