1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Modded Bass Day - the poor mans Claypool

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bench, May 5, 2020.

1. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Les Claypool was the reason i switched from drums to bass about 25 years ago. And i especially love his work with the fretted sixstring, a quirky Carl Thompson, initially fretless that Carl didn't like much. Claypool had it fretted, put thin strings on it and used it a lot on pork soda, tales from the puchbowl, the brown album and some of his side projects.

Maplepics.jpg

as i'm still waiting to get filthy rich, i haven't called Carl yet to make me one... ...BUT i have the second best tight string spacing, quirky sixstring now. an ibanez srx 5 string, converted to sixstring using the mono rails of the Gerald Veasley signature bass (which were not easy to get and had to be sunk into the top as they are relatively high). spacing is less than 15mm. emg dc 40 pickups, vol-vol-tone, thin daddario nickels (110-90-70-55-35-30). tuned in b standard it's floppy as hell, but this way it comes pretty close soundwise and is a lot of un to play.

Maplepics.jpg IMG_20200505_110505.jpg IMG_20200505_110539.jpg IMG_20200505_110547.jpg IMG_20200505_110557.jpg

JRA, Murch, J_Bass and 2 others like this.
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021