Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Mollerup 6-string pic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LM Bass, Nov 26, 2003.

1. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here is my new 6-string Jazz style bass.
    Swamp ash body, knotty birdseye maple fingerboard with dots made of chakte kok, 3 piece maple neck, Hipshot bridge and tuners, Aero single coils, Raven Labs J-bass preamp prototype, ebony knobs, and a "slap ramp" between the neck pickup and fingerboard.
    [​IMG]

More new pics at the end of This thread

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Here is a closer up pic of the body:
    [​IMG]

3. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    VERY cool bass! A couple of questions:

1) Is the ramp removable?
    2) What's the spacing at the bridge?
    3) Is it for sale? :D

Nice work,
    Aram

4. Nice looker. At first it reminded me of an F bass with the headstock and stuff. ALthoiugh, at first glance i thought "why are there so many inlays on the frets on all thoes positions??~??" but its just the wood used for theneck. Nice bass!!~!!

- w00t

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Whats that slap ramp for? I would rather make a "slap cavity" instead: I quite usually hit the body (not because I want to, but because its so close) even without a ramp...
    Apart from that, its a nice bass - will probably sound even better! Njoy!

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Thanks guys,

It's not for sale, I'm keeping this one for myself and loving it!

The ramp is held on with "Glass tac" double sided tape. I like it because it allows my fingers to only go in so far, which speeds up my slap technique (and I need all the help I can get!) The bridge spacing is 19mm or 3/4". The nut is 54mm wide.

I definitely am inspired by F bass, but I hope it's not too close. This is the latest Orca shape I've come up with and I really like it. It's slightly bigger than my past designs.

7. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Is your last name danish?..:D

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Lawrence, beautiful bass! How dare you show that and it not be for sale.

Could you explain the Raven Labs preamp? Is it volume, pan, stacked treble/bass? Thanks.

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Yes my last name is Danish.

The Raven Labs preamp is a prototype that Steve Rabe sent me to try. It is vol/vol/tone, with the tone adding bass in one direction and treble in the other. The preamp is great, with a lot of output, and it's very clean sounding. Sometimes I wish I could add bass and treble both, or add some low mids. I'm still thinking about it, but I might put an Aguilar 3-band in there.

10. Mikkel-S

Mikkel-S Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Funny.. I thougt so.. Oh well :rolleyes:
    Btw. Beautiful bass you got there!!:eek:

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I'm not a fan of the obp-3. I have one in my bass. I want to see Steve Rabe make a 3 band with boost only. I think that he could make one that is very clean sounding and that doesn't add much to the original signal. Something along the lines of the true blue eq but an onboard with less options and with gain. Something that runs the original signal parallel to the active signal. There isn't an onboard preamp on the market that I like except for the Fbass pre. I wish that it was available to the public.

12. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    That sounds like a U-Retro! I don't know about the parallel singnal thingy.

13. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I had a U-Retro once. It was so noisy that I couldn't keep it.

14. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Oh yes. I have two Acacia basses with U-Retro preamps. I have never had a noise problem with either of these basses. However, just about every other bass I have played with a Retro has had a noise problem. I think great care needs to be taken in shielding these pre's. Also John has revamped his electronics in the past year to make it less noisy.

I guess that F bass has the same deal as Wal about their electronics.