New(old) (fretless) bass day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dale_M, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dale_M

Dale_M

May 6, 2008
    Hey everyone!

Just figured I'd post some pics of my new(old) bass.

But first, here's a little story behind it:

I was walking into the pawn shop I go to all the time when I was 13, about a week or two before my 14th birthday, and I saw this beautiful Valley Arts California Pro bass up on the wall behind the counter.

I asked the guy if I could play it, he said "Yeah, sure" so he took it down and passed it to me, and it felt and played amazing. When I got home, I asked my parents if I could have it for my birthday, and they knew that I took my playing seriously and I REALLY wanted that bass. Well, as a typical parent would, they said "Maybe."

My 14th birthday comes, I asked them about it and they said yes! I was happy as hell. I almost never put it down!

At around December of '06, I started getting (back) into guitar, and I pretty much went from bassist to guitarist. I played bass every now and then, but it was primarily guitar. Then around March '08, I decided to play bass again, as there was no good bass players around my area (not to sound full of myself, but there's almost no good bass players around these parts) and I just don't think I'm that great of a guitar player.

Around this time last year, I had traded the bass for a Washburn DB40 Stealth bass (Imagine Dimebag's Washburn Stealth guitar, in bass form).

... Then I started realizing what a piece of **** it was. (Impulse buy.. I hate those). (It was also before I built up a knowledge of this stuff, at the time I just thought all pickups sounded the same, now I see the difference, now I realize I prefer P/J to J/J)

And as a 16th birthday gift, I traded my Washburn Stealth bass back for the Valley Arts Cali. Pro. (... Well OK, they didn't give me that much for the Washturd, but I had also traded a Digitech Whammy and Roland Cube 30X so I only had to pay $40 for the trade-in)

The reasons I wanted it back was
    A) Sentimental value
    B) It plays amazing and is USA made [it was also my first USA made instrument!]
    C) I had discovered Steve DiGiorgio

Anyways, on with the pictures

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/AdamWe/Bass/Recent/

I'll get more up later. Thanks for looking!

Sorry about the long story lol

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Glad you got that bad boy back. Looks like it plays great!

3. Dale_M

Dale_M

May 6, 2008
    It has the comfiest neck I've ever felt in a bass.

Ever notice that it's the same shape was Warmoth's Dinky P?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021