Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Paulin EUB

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by ToneRanger, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Honest, I really was going to make my own EUB... but I met this guy Bill Paulin, a maker of stringed instruments and fine furniture who'd made a sweet electric violin for a friend of mine. I talked to him about my plans to make a compact EUB. Long story short, this is what he delivered this week:

http://www.fittell.id.au/eub/

This one is a prototype, more minimalist than his earlier EUB design. Initially he gave me a rough pre-prototype that he knocked up from cheap Bunya pine, which sounded surprisingly good. This one, in quality tone woods, has a more mellow, natural sound with full-bodied lows - it doesn't seem to need any EQ through my Eden rig.
    Bill said he's happy to take orders for more of the same, priced at $1500 (Australian).
    [​IMG]

2. VERY nice. I can't seem to find an apropriate smilie...

3. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does it have an adjustable bridge? i cant make it out from the pic...

4. mikjans

mikjans

Dec 17, 2003
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Do you have contact info for Paulin? Ypu can e-mail me off list.

Mikael

5. "does it have an adjustable bridge?"
    Yes, I adjusted it this afternoon with a knife and sandpaper :)

"Do you have contact info for Paulin?"
    You can email Bill at: doublesquaredoubleround@hotmail.com
    (address is now on the web page)

6. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    cant he fit a normal double bass bridge to it with adjusters?

7. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    does it come with some type of bout to simulate the shoulder fo a bass? like the messenger? messengerbass.com
    that reference point is really important to me. as well as a traditional Eb or D neck.

8. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  9. An earlier prototype had a standard bridge, which required a raised tailpiece block like the Azola, but for this one we decided to go with a lower bridge and a flat body/neck angle so that the strings terminate flush with the body.
    I'm sure Bill would be happy to make one with a standard bridge, but I was looking for a more compact instrument.

It has a traditional D heel on the neck.
    There will be an adjustable shoulder (and end-pin) added soon. What happened was that I told Bill I'd look after those aspects, but when he delivered the bass I realised the solutions I'd planned (using drum hardware) were just too ugly to screw onto such a pretty piece of woodwork. I'm currently working on more aesthetic solutions to adustable/removable endpin and shoulder.

This is still a work in progress - I'm very happy with the way it plays & sounds, but we've aready talked about minor improvements for the next one.

10. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    What pickup system do it uses?
    It doesn't seem conventional at all!

11. It's one I made myself using MSI piezo films encapsulated in copper foil (for more details see www.fittell.id.au/piezo ).

I haven't seen a Realist, but I suspect it's virtually the same thing. It works surprisingly well with one under each bridge foot - much better than any 'clip-on' pickups I've tried.
    The preamp is an old Boss FA-1 I had lying around, but it doesn't really need any gain boost because the pickups have plenty of output. Future EUB's that Bill makes will probably just have a simple buffering preamp.

12. Hello

It's really nice EUB.

Dose it have an end pin or some attachment when playing?

Thank you

13. Yes, it now has an endpin in a nice walnut adjustable clamp on the back - will post a pic when I can.

And more on the pickup - I've just put up a web page with instruction for making your own: http://www.fittell.id.au/piezo/

14. Here's a pic:

Attached Files:

15. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

I was lying in bed this morn, wondering how I was going to fabricate an endpin mount on my project eub.....thanks for the idea. Nice lookin' eub too, enjoy it!