1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Pedal Day-Moen Buffalo

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I had a church gig today. On the way out I opened the mailbox and there it was. I had a few moments at the venue before any other musicians arrived and took the opportunity to check it out alone. I am a terrible reviewer, here are some thoughts in bullet point fashion.

I was going to buy a DI for an emergency but bought this instead.

The case is metal. There is no battery door, the bottom as to be removed to install the battery. There are no feet. Instead, there is a mouse pad like square covering the bottom.

It's very Sansamp like in tone. It didn't seem quite as "bloated" sounding as the SA but really does thicken the tone.

It's quiet. No hiss even with highs cranked. It had a "clank" like the SA with highs above 1 o'clock. The mid sweep is subtle. The gain did give a really hot sound when cranked but didn't break up or sound like a fuzz. I never used that kind of tone anyway.

I didn't get to use the DI. They didn't want to put any bass in the house. Oh well, I got paid anyway. I was seated for the gig. That's why my rig is setup like it is. For 55.00 shipped I'd highly recommend it!

Buffalo.

kodiakblair, Cokodok and kakulino like this.
  2. Got the exact same pedal. £32 and 3 weeks delivery time from China. Sturdy,well built unit. At home I run everything through small studio monitors so DI into a mixer and the Moen sounds great.

3. samurai1993

samurai1993

Jun 6, 2010
    Chile
    Is this a clean pedal or has some drive? I own the old Moen Buffalo for guitar, it has lots of clean gain, but just clean gain, no drive at all. The Sansamp comparison by the OP got me interested.

4. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Why would you use a battery?

5. @samurai1993

With a P-bass and kinda weak pickups I'd say little or no drive. When I switched to a PJ with super hot pickups it had drive,they are the craziest hottest pickups I own so that was no surprise.

I'd say clean gain more than drive.