New Pickup Day: Thunderbird in a Precision

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kevinpmajka, Dec 11, 2020.

1. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    This was expensive to get routed and get a custom guard, Bayou Audio harness, and installed, but it's great and I'm really happy.

That's a USA Custom Guitars body finished in reranch that started with a split coil pickup. I had an epiphone bass that I enjoyed a lot but really found myself not liking the poly finish and didn't use the bridge pickup.

This is great! I have a bisonic precision in the works too. It's LOUD. On my amp, I am using the padded input to be similar output to my other parts precision basses.

The pickup is a Thunderbucker Ranch 66N pickup. The pickguard is a 60's reissue white / black / white from WD. They hate that route template on file. 250k pots per Thunderbucker Ranch's recommendation. (Just in case anyone else does something similar).

PXL_20201212_021744372.NIGHT (1).jpg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  2. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    That looks sharp :cool: I hope it sounds as good as it looks!

kevinpmajka likes this.
  3. kevinpmajka

kevinpmajka Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2013
    Phoenix
    Thanks! I'm really pleased. I maybe should have gone for the 63N for lower output, but it's great and a very nice tonal color compared to my maple and rosewood neck precisions.

Very excited about the upcoming Bisonic project, which has been in the works for 8 months mostly due to funds and getting a proper pickguard made.

Riff Ranger likes this.
  4. Riff Ranger

Riff Ranger Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Bigfoot Country
    I look forward to that one as well. I have had Starfires on the brain lately for some reason.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Very nice, plain, simple but tasty, in fact elegant in it's own way. I'm not going that route on my ThunderP, but sure dig what you've done.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    kevinpmajka likes this.
  6. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Nice! I have a 66S in a tele bass, a 5 string set in a Gibson EB5, and a couple of loose pickups waiting for the right body. They're my favorite pickups! If you don't mind flexible strings, the TI Jazz Rounds pair up nicely with them.

kevinpmajka likes this.
  7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Sunbeams also work nicely.
    20200804_192502.jpg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 28, 2022