Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new pickup for olp bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Apr 9, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I've got a music man knock off bye olp. the model is the mm3. This bass is the cheaper model of a 5 string stingray. I have discoverred that the pickup that comes with it is not very good. when you hit the lower strings like the b and e, it sounds muddy. very muddy. I was just wonderring if anyone had any suggestions for a replacement pickup. thanks everyone!!!! :bassist: rock on

2. KenToby

KenToby

Aug 15, 2002
    BigbBass, see my big post from a few months ago on this same subject; in a nut shell I believe I have duplicated the Stingray tone on my OLP without having to spend a tone of money. I'll try to give a short description:
    I have 2 OLP 4 strings, one with a Seymour Duncan replacement pickup and one with the stock pickup. In a side by side "taste test" I'm not hearing a huge difference between the 2 pickups. Remember, the OLP's are passive instruments while the Stingrays are active, my suggestion is to do as I have - save your money and invest in a NICE outboard preamp like a Fodera 2000, Aguilar or Sadowsky to boost the signal and allow you to shape the tone. Spend a bit more and swap the bridge out as well.

3. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    My suggestion is this -

[​IMG]

:D <3

i've heard the bigest problem with the OLPs are the electronics. I've heard one with upgraded electronics and it sounded great, but I just went for the whole deal. I got it for ~100 dollars off eBay.

4. ms747

ms747

Aug 10, 2001
    Australia
    hey i have the same bass i agree the stock electronics are cheap and muddy, ive repalced them with the seymour duan set up alnico pickup and music man stc-3m3 tone circuit and im over the moon with it
    pm if u want any more information
    cheers
    matt

5. I've got mine wired with Bartolini electronics (MMC+NTBT).
    Anyone find a replacemnt bridge that works well?

Anyone have any shots of the pickup height/string height at the pickup for comparison?
    I find my pickup seems to visually be lower/deeper in the bass when compared to actual stingrays.

beav2k2 your stacked knob looks like its on steroids! :p

6. Bassman1928

Bassman1928

May 24, 2004

Are they seymour duncan pickups?

Where did you get that pickguard???!

:D

-BM

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    is it possible to put a NTMB and battery(without routing a cavity) inside a OLP MM3?

8. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    No way! There's only enough room for the pots that are in there.

9. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Yeah, they're Duncans and I had the pickguard made from some aluminum from Lowes and just scraped it up. I don't reccomed it. You have to rescratch it every month due to oxidation.

I'm also looking for a good bridge that keeps the MM look.

10. Wayner

Wayner

May 7, 2004
    Maryland, USA
    My second bass is an OLP MM2 with Rotosound strings, and I play it through a Sadowsky outboard. I think it gets the sound I'm looking for. For my needs, replacement pickup = big waste of time.

Someone else posted here asking about pickup/string height -- it all depends on what kind of style you play, dude. I spent a lot of time fiddling around with my action and string/pu height, and I know where to adjust it depending on what tone I want to get. I think the MM2 can get a decent finger style and a nice slap tone, just not at the same time.

11. thunderstorm

thunderstorm

Dec 16, 2012
    Hamden Ct
    So any input after use of mods for a while ...best pick up upgrade and what bridge is popular upgrade
    Tks guys and gals