Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 11, 2006.

1. OK, I've found two different Preamps that pretty much fit exactly what I want in a preamp. One is an Agulair OBP-3, 5 knobs (Volume, Blend, Highs, Mids, Lows) and one switch (switich frequencies between 250 and 800Hz). The other is a Bartolini with the same settings. What do you guys think would sound best with Jazz style Pups? Also the bass I'm looking at to put it in is chambered with an Ash body, if that would affect it all.

2. the aguilar can be switched between 400Hz and 800Hz for the mid frequency. with an additional ganged pot, it can be set up to have a mid sweep between these two frequencies...so if you have room for a 6th pot instead of the switch, consider it.

Aggies receive good marks by most people here. So do barts.

and the winner of the coin toss, is......

3. Huh, well perhaps they posted wrong about its frequency....

Well, the bass I'm considering replacing the Pre in is one of The Bass Company's 5 string jazz styles, and those come stock with just 5 knobs, so I figured a switch would require less woodworking to get in.

I also realize I didn't describe what kinda sound I want too, so I'll do that. I play mostly finger style stuff, throwing a Slap/Pop song in everynow and again. I want a really round, thick kinda tone, focusing on deep lows, and really articulate highs (nice mids are great too, just not my main focus.)

So based on that kinda sound, what should I do?