1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Rig...humbled on a budget

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metal5stringer, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Metal5stringer

Metal5stringer

Oct 29, 2007
    Well I never post but I felt I had to this time...I had been using an Ashdown MAG115c combo..ya know 300 Watt 15"...Well I couldnt dial in that uber sound I wanted...looking for thet kind of Fieldy clank sound...SO, I bought an Ashdown MAg 410T 4x10 cab to utilize the full potential of the mag head, and while I was at it I swapped out the 15" Ashdown Blueline for en Eminence 15" bass driver....so now Im thinking, this is gonna be it....close but no cigar, something just wasnt right, and I kept getting wierd pops and distortion from the 15", I added a Berhinger V-Amp bass module, and it had some ok sounds but was real noisy...so I replaced the V-amp with the Zoom B2 from Samson..awesome little pedal....once again close but not quite right....so after looking for a month or two and reading every review under the sun....this is what I did....I picked up the new Peavey Tour 450 bass head, ordered another Ashdown Mag 410T 4x10 cab and voila! I found that just right tone that I dont hink Ill ever have to mess with...I have to say Im really impressed with the Peavey tour head, it has tons of options, a super sensitive eq and tons of raw clean sounding power....and the Ashdown mag 410's sound great paired with this head...Anyone looking for that clean yet metallic sound with great low end and crisp highs...you cant go wrong with this package and it rings in at a low cost of $1076.99!! (Mag 410s - $279 each / Peavey Tour 450 $439 / Zoom B2 pedal $79)

2. Glad you found what you were looking for :)

Ive always found that sound pretty easy to get, cut the mids, boost the lows and highs (on bass and amp if you have an active bass). And make sure to use new strings (rounds).

How do you find the new peavey overall?

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Ahhh Tone Nirvana. Yes it is nice to find the tone that you are seeking. :)

4. I bet it wont last . . .

. . . i know it never lasts with me, there is always one more thing needed . . . always :bawl:

5. Metal5stringer:
    Are you using that Octaver feature? How do you like that? Looks like a cool/useful idea but I've never heard it in action (that I know of).

That SmartRail technology sounds very much like something I've seen back in the 80's on Kenwood car stereo amps. I used to work on car stereos and amps back then. They had multiple (maybe only two, I forget) power rails for the output transistors. Each rail was a different voltage. As they needed more voltage, they would switch to the rail with the higher voltage. This kept the voltage drop across the output transistors smaller so they ran cooler while delivering the same output power as a conventional amp. That Kenwood amp was/is great. Actually, I still have it (but it's just sitting on a shelf). It's a 400 watt amp and I had it connected to a 2x15" cab in the back of my Chevy Suburban. Man, that thing really pumped the bass. My rear view mirrors used to vibrate so bad I couldn't even see with them. :smug:

Now, you've got me wanting to check out one of those Peavey amps.

And speaking of 2x15s (the configuration I lean toward), it seems most bassists are going for 4x10s these days. Why did you go 4x10? Was it size? ...performance? ...price? ...or something else?

6. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Well I didn't want to say it but it never lasts for me either ;)

7. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Yes I've said the same thing many, many times. ;) All kidding aside glad you found the sound that makes you happy.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Congrats on the new rig!