1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New rockbass/warwick line

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Professor Jones, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Sep 22, 2009
    The site has just been updated with the new series of rockbass instruments :

http://www.warwick.de/modules/produk...ID=17057&cl=EN

As you can see by reading the descriptions they only use quality woods (ash, alder, carolena...), fretless versions even come with ebony fretboards.

The hardware and electronics used are the same used in the warwick basses : 2 peice warwick bridge, MEC pickups, warwick machine heads (don't know about the pots).

This seems almost too good to be true !

I'm still wondering about the overall build quality that the chinese factory will bring though, but if it's good then these basses must be serious bang for the buck !

Anyone tried one of those here ? Are you interested ?

2. I'm somewhat interested. I've always wanted a Warwick, but the price has always been a hurdle. Rockbass is in my price range.
    I've heard that consistency and quality control has been weak with RB. If you're lucky enough to get a bass that was built to spec, then they are supposedly great.

3. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Sep 22, 2009
    Yes I've heard about problems with rb's QC, I hope they improved that part too...

4. The quality of the original Rockbass was super and then the later ones weened off and Hans Peter went in and shut the factory down. He has moved the factory somewhere else maybe Greg from the Warwick forum will give us some more info one the move.

I have played the New Rockbasses last week at GC and WOW they even surpass my original in Quality, Look and Feel. They all have the same features as the original Warwicks (2 piece bridge, Quick Snap Covers, MEC Pups, etc) the biggest difference other than the bridge from the original is they got rid of the ugly logo.

5. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    BAM! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=581245 :).

Thats great they have got rid of that awful headstock logo, it makes me glad I never got an older one, and now I need that double $$. The thread above mentions they are $850, I wonder if they will be similarly priced in the UK, anyone seen one in the UK for sale? I cant find one.

6. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    I heard it was much weaker before these models came out. These models are supposed to be much higher quality. I didn't really like the finish on the new $$ that I tried in the store so I'll just stick to my real 'wick. These basses are still seriously good for the money.

To all the "baseball bat" neck people - they changed the neck profile in 2009 and that included the RockBass series.

7. catsandstrats

catsandstrats

Jul 2, 2009
    I am a wick player, and I didn't think these things were anywhere near the quality of a real wick. They had the look, and kinda had the sound....playability killed it for me. Awful.

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Noticed the newer improved versions of rockbasses a couple months ago on their website. Had wondered what became of them since no loger sees any of the major online stores carrying rockbasses. The one problem build wise I had with the rockbass vampyre several yrs ago was soft screws. Screw heads easilly stripped and one of the adjustment screws for neck pup adjustment literally tore apart when accidentallty screwed it down too much. Very soft metal screws from chinese maker. Hopes theyve corrected that big hardware build problem. The rockbasses allways used same mec pups and preamps as the regular warwicks. Sure hopes theyre useing real warwick and not chinese copy hardware for the new ones. Id be afraid of soft metal problem continuing if the latter was the case from my own experience. Ending up replaceing all the screws etc on mine before selling it. Other then that was good bass. Just wasnt able to get the type of sound variety I wanted with it.

9. Professor Jones

Professor Jones

Sep 22, 2009
    I think they might have got rid of the problems the previous line had, since their intentions is clearly step up the quality.

They are not available in europe yet AFAIK, they might get released early 2010.

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    There are a couple of them at my Guitar Center. I thought they were "real" Warwicks, until I saw the tiny "Rockbass" on the truss rod cover. The feel and sound are great. I'm not a big Warwick fan, but these are very nice.

A big step up from some of the older Rockbass models I have played. And those were pretty good, too.

11. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    I made it,thanks Donut.;)
    The first Rockbasses were built in Korea,by a very large manufacturer that builds for alot of companies.These were quite good,but it was usually the spray jobs that let some of these basses down.But it's a spray job.It doesnt detract from the tone or playablity,but on the other hand,it puts people off.
    Then production moved to a purpose built factory in China.Warwick shipped over alot of the machinery,that had been retired from the German factory.Warwick are fanatical when it comes to having state of the art machinery & technology.They go as far as developing their own machinery,when the available machines fall short of their standards.
    Like Donut said, about the new Rockbasses,wow,is a good description.
    New models,like the Corvette $$,upgraded hardware,Adjustable nut & headstocks in keeping with their German built counterparts.
    These changes came about because of demand by customers.People didnt like the Rockbass logo,so it went.They didnt like the one piece bridge,so it went.Other than the fact it's made in China,the only difference now is the electronics.Which are still MEC,but all the soldering of components is done in China,using the same components.
    Warwick's owner,Hans Peter Wilfer,wanted to give everyone the oportunity to be able to own a high quality bass,at a more affordable price.If you get the chance,try out the new Rockbasses & compare them against others in the same price range.Do it with an open mind & you might well find they're exceptionally well built basses.:)

12. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    I'm not aware of these,"problems" you're speaking of.You mentioned this in The Warwick forum,but didnt go into any detail.
    Would you be able to elaborate please?

Re.European distribution.
    USA & Australia were the first,soon it'll be Europes turn.
    The official release,at the Shanghai Music Fair ended 2 days ago.So give it some time & you'll be seeing the new RB's in stores soon.

13. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I played one, it was terrible.

14. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Seems weird as they are a European company, Chinese made I know but still expected sooner :(

Why?

15. Honestly, I do not see the appeal. For my money I would rather buy a used Warwick for comparable money than one of these inferior piles. They have no resale value, and they didn't make me feel good when I held one.

16. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    They actually hold their value better than if you were to buy a new Warwick.Not my opinion,but "fact".
    Dont wanna sound rude,but not everything has to meet your expectations.If you approach this from a completely non biased direction,a few facts make themselves apparent.If you fail to see this,I'm waisting my time trying to point out anything to you.

17. If they hold the value then why do they sell for so much less on the used market. Fact, I can get a Used Rockbass for ALOT less than a used Warwick. My comment about not liking it, is an opinion, not a fact. I know this. This forum (as most on the internet) are to gather people of a similar interest to share opinions about experiences, biased or otherwise.

Lets pretend for a minute that you can buy the same model Rockbass, as the real deal. Would you rather buy the Rockbass? I sure as hell wouldn't. But, that is my opinion.

18. http://cgi.ebay.com/RockBass-Warwick-Corvette-Classic-5-String-Bass-Guitar_W0QQitemZ270466322351QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3ef90c8faf

http://cgi.ebay.com/WARWICK-CORVETTE-STANDARD-BASS-GUITAR-GREAT-CONDITION_W0QQitemZ110442587259QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item19b6e4247b

These are the first two that grabbed my attention in the completed listings on ebay. Im not here to start a fight with anyone, but I did alot of research before I bought my second Warwick. I actually bought a fretted corvette to go with my fretless today. So, yes, I have done my research.

19. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Felt CHEAP, sounded "zingy" and thin. None of the organic feel or tone of a real Warwick present. It kind of reminded me of a Peavey Cirrus BXP I played once, but it was worse. I was really hoping for a less costly alternative to the $$, but I was completely disappointed. I wouldn't use it if you gave it to me.

20. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Of course a used Rockbass is cheaper than a used Warwick.
    I'm talking about the percentage of the new price you'll lose after buying new,then selling.All high end basses lose alot from their new prices.
    I too,am not here to start fights.I just find posts that state,"it's crap",or,""not worth the money" etc,without even giving a simple explanation as to how that opinion came about.It's like,"trust me,I know everything".Pretty arrogant.