Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New setup, What do u think?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitrous3a8, Dec 25, 2003.

1. nitrous3a8

nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    I am going to buy a whole new setup, cause i am tired of my crate 15 watt peice.

I need something really loud, cause in the band i am in both the guitarest have HUGE amps, and most and the time, you can not even hear the bass.

I am thinking of getting a Hartke 410TP Bass Cabinet, with a Hartke 2000 Bass Head New B Stock, and a Zoom 708II Multi Effects Bass Pedal just for fun.

1) do u think this would work well?
    2) can u think of anything else i need
    3) Do u have any better ideas
    4) PLEASE HELP ME!!

thanks...Aaron

2. I know Hartke makes some really nice heads, I haven't played their cabs. Are you really interested in a pedal board with multiple effects? I have a Zoom somewhere lying around, and don't use, so my advice is, don't buy Zoom, it's crap. Save a little more, and buy a Boss GT-6B. that's what i would do in your case. But i don't think you can go wrong with the hartke amp & cab

3. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I'm not sure aluminum cones are going to be synonymous with the sound you have in your mind (huge and what not..) Save that, I've heard the XL series is leaps better than the TP series...

4. my older hartke cab is great. not sure about the new ones.

5. nitrous3a8

nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    The only thing is that Xl's cost more money, and with the stuff i have here, i am right at the edge of what i can afford.

But do u think that this head and cab will go good togther?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    In my experience, all I can say is it's best to avoid Hartke, especially their cabs. While being extremely well priced, they're not much of a value in my opinion. The sound is really just not there, and there's much better out there, especially on the used market. But the most important thing, try it before you buy.

Oh, and you might want to avoid multi-fx. Reference this thread: Multi-effects v seperate stomp boxes

7. nitrous3a8

nitrous3a8

Nov 26, 2003
    really, cause i have heard nothing but good things about Hartke, from friends, sales ppl, and other on talk bass.

I dont really understand what u r saying about the multi-fx,
    i am new to pedals and have never played with one befour

8. i dont know much about the amp and cab you've selected, so i'm sure the others who know will fill you in on the info for those, but i can tell you if you want a mutiFX go with the digitech bp300. its way better than the zoom. i A/B'd both when i got mine and the digitech was miles ahead in everyway. i dont use it as much as used to, i prefer pedals over a multi, but i do like it as a way to use things like delay and envlopefilters that i normally wouldnt use. it makes for a neat pedal for goofing around with and a headphone amp, but if all you want is a distortion then i'd go for a pedal in a second. i do like having for this pyschedelic jam me and my band do, sort of like saturn III on fu manchu's ...go for it live. if you're just looking for a few effects to use now and again the digitech is the way to go, but if you want a serious pedal for constant use, get a stompbox

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If you check out the post I linked before, it basically explains the pros/cons of stompboxes over multi-fx. If you want more opinions, your best bet is probably to start a new thread or revive the old thread over in the Effects forum.

10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I'd rather not go with Hartke, as you can do much better for the money. How about the new Yorkville XS400H and an Avatar cab? I'm sure that setup would rock way more than hartke. :bassist:

11. Arthur Poon

Arthur Poon

Jul 13, 2003
    I don't have any experience with Hartke's products, but I assume their heads match up with their cabs. I'd say you need a minimum of 300 watts, 450 would be better. I recommend you try your bass through as many different brands of gear as you can find. Once you've found something that you really like, check Ebay or your local used market. As far as good, solid bass gear on a budget is concerned, my vote goes to Peavey. I used Peavey gear for many years and it always delivered what I needed.

12. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Ox, just to save confusion I thought I'd correct you. I think you meant the Yorkville XS400H.