1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Setup

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by S.fasciani, Aug 23, 2007.

1. S.fasciani

S.fasciani

May 27, 2005
    USA
    Im running a GK MB150s head through a Epifani 110 cab.
    I dont know anything about ohms and stuff. Is everything going to be alright?
    Thanks a lot,
    Sean

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It'll run just fine if you plug it into one external 8 ohm cab like the Epifani 110.

If you decide plug it into two external cabs, you should push the switch between the two external speaker outs (so that the switch is sticking out and the internal speaker is disengaged) before you turn anything on.

Might help to read some of the amp stickies over on the Electric Bass side - they have good, easy to understand primers about how the ohm stuff works.

3. S.fasciani

S.fasciani

May 27, 2005
    USA
    Thanks dude, appreciated!

4. S.fasciani

S.fasciani

May 27, 2005
    USA
    My Fender '82 Japanese Jazz bass is buzzing when I turn the bridge pickup up.
    If I turn the tweeter off it lessens but its still there.
    Any thoughts?
    Its strange because my upright sound fantastic. Cheers

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
  6. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Jazz bass pickups are magnetically opposite polarity (the bridge and neck units attract each other) but they are electrically in phase. Individually, Jazz bass pickups are simple single-coil types. Using both pickups together makes them humbucking. Used separately, there is no hum and noise cancellation taking place, so they can be quite noisey.

7. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Thanks for correcting me Bob. I was wrong on the electric and magnetic part, but my general idea was pretty much half right. Do I get partial credit?

8. robgrow

robgrow Supporting Member

May 1, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Absolutely! :) (although I didn't really mean to correct, just adding to your comments.)