1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Strings Help?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tsfender, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Tsfender

Tsfender

Apr 19, 2011
    I need some new strings for my p-bass. Any recommendations?

2. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    D'Addario Chromes.....

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Anything but D'Addario Chromes.....

4. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

Dec 12, 2010
    London
    Rounds or flats or something completely different?

If rounds, I'm partial to Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass.

If flats or something completely different, you're better off asking someone else.

5. XephonXIII

XephonXIII

Jul 27, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    There are lots of great players out there who love Chromes on their P-basses. You can also get great growl/presence by going with stainless steel strings, like DR Hi-beams.

Personally, I like old roundwound tone, so I go with D'Addario EXL170's. They last forever, and the punch and booty just gets better over time!

Be careful about string length if you're stringing through-body, any D'Addario strings need to be "Super Long" scale to fit. I can't speak for other brands, though.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Please tell us what sound tweak your wanting the strings to give compared to whats on the bass now. And what strings those are. Then strings can be reccomended based on that rather then just sahying what each peeps fave strings are. A general guide frpom my trying strings over the yrs:

Ernie ball slinky: accents crunch a little.
    daddario: opposite of ernie ball, accents smoothness, takes away some crunch.
    Rotosound swing66: great metaalic tone and balance from lows to highs with non annoying treble content thats brilliant but not harsh like some strings.
    Dr neon: similair voice qaulity to rotosound swing 66 but slightly more articulate low bass and a little more trebly.
    Dean markley blue steel: brightest sounding of the lot esp at first. Crack of thunder
    lows.
    GHS boomers: good middle of the road strings compared to the others listed.
    Warwick: cheaper version of rotosounds but not as good sounding as those or DR neons to me.
    Elixers: Yuck. Has the harsh treble and skewed mids sound and dont feel so good. Then they get fuzzy and you have fuzzy strings which s just weird. Lol. Some do like elixers. Their treble and mids are the most diff from the others to me though. Quirky overtones and such to that just doesnt agree with me.

7. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    DR Sunbeams, or DR nickel Lo Riders.