1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by zehBOOM, Dec 26, 2009.

1. zehBOOM

zehBOOM

Nov 5, 2009
    so i got a set of d'addario .045-.130 stings for a 5 string bass for christmas... well when i asked for them i was planning on buying an Ibanez SR505 (5 string)... turns out i wasnt able to buy the bass... so i have my 4 string

first question: is it the same if i use the e-g strings and leave the b out?

second question: if i use b-d is like like a 5 string without the botto, string???.. or would that even work at all??:confused:

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    You're on the wrong section, zehBOOM. you're gonna have to go to the strings section for this topic. secondly, I would recommend either dr strings or dunlop strings.

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    You can string a four string bass either way: E, A, D, G, or B, E, A, D.

The one issue in doing the B - D stringing would be that a four string bass' nut is slotted for E, A, D, and G string diameters and not for the thicker B, E, A, and D string widths.

The nut slots would have to be widened via careful use of a rat tail file. If you've no experience doing this then it's better to have a qualified guitar tech do the job. It's very easy to accidentally remove too much material or file the slots improperly so that the open strings will buzz and/or play out-of-tune in relation to fretted notes.

In case you're interested in learning more about filing nut slots and setting up a bass.

If you decide to tackle any of this stuff yourself then please study the how-to's in those links carefully before you do anything to your bass. And even then take it slow & easy. (As in carpentry: measure twice, cut once.)

BTW the G string is actually considered to be the top string. Why? Because it's pitched higher than the others. ;)

5. zehBOOM

zehBOOM

Nov 5, 2009
    alright thanks guys... didnt know there was a string section but i guess i do now

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    moved to strings.