1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New studio website

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Dave Martin, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Hi, folks!
    I've just re-done my studio's webs site - after 5 years, it was past time. I'm not sure if it's as cool as the old one was, but I really needed to have some new audio samples, the gear list and the photos are more up to date (and there are at least pictures of the piano now, and a number of my basses are shown).

If you get a minute and feel the urge, please check out www.javajivestudio.com and let me know if you have suggestions, criticisms or problems loading any of the pages.
    I actually hadn't planned on doing it myself (I know I'm not a graphics guy), but I started playing around with iWeb one afternoon...
    Thanks!

2. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    IMHO thats a perfect website. Very clear and concise. Easy to navigate. Professional looking. All the info you want, none that you dont. Nicely done sir.

3. Thanks for the kind words!

4. psycholalia

psycholalia

Nov 29, 2007
    Seattle WA
    I agree. Pretty slick without being too overwrought with flashy, useless stuff. I would maybe like to see some links to larger pictures of the spaces and control room, but that is the only thing that I can think of off hand.

5. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Very nice, as a freelancer it has most of the answers to the questions I'd have when studio shopping and it's easy to navigate. I love the bookcase diffusors and have been wanting to do something similar for years. I'm getting ready on a new project studio build and I may just apply that idea this time. You've got a very classy and comfortable looking place and the website shows it off nicely. +points to having the floor plan posted too, I hate it when studios don't do that.

6. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Very nice!!

7. Hmm - I wonder if I can figure out a way to do that.... Thanks for the suggestion!

8. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Dave, I should just read through the mic list but I noticed on your mic pic theres like a brownish goldish mic in the very middle. I thought it was a woodpecker, but it looks too fat. What is that. By the way, your studio is amazing. If Im ever in nashville do you mind if I check it out with some forwarning?

9. The gold mic in the center (below the U47 but about the same size) is a Lawson L47MP. And sure - let me know if you want the nickel tour. :)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Very nice site. The only thing I've noticed on though - on most studio sites, not just yours - is that there are often beautiful pictures of the rooms shown at teeny-tiny resolutions. There's usually great lighting and interesting features, it's hard to see them because of the small pictures. It would be cool if there was a gallery section so you could see your good-looking rooms in more detail.

That's just an observation about most studio sites, though. Otherwise I think it's a great site. You have quite a few microphones!

On a completely side note - how do you like the Kurzweil Micro Piano? I've been thinking about picking one up.

11. Thanks; I may see if I can figure out a way to link to larger photos of the rooms (I've got 'em up to 2.5 meg for all these...)

Make me an offer on the Micropiano - I kinda quit using it when I got the K2500, and kinda quit using that when I got the Yamaha C7....

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I just picked up a cheaper digital piano online - it comes tomorrow and I'm interested to see how the piano sounds are on that. I might spring for the Kurzweil if I feel the need, but we'll see. I'll keep you in mind depending on what happens!

13. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I dig it, you have a sweet looking studio. I especially like that pic of all your mics laid out :)

14. Thanks! It was kinda goofy doing that, but the results are interesting.

15. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Hi Dave . . . I'm NOT trying to be "nit-picky", just trying to help . . . on the opening page you say "not only to we make an excellent cup of coffee" (in the last paragraph) . . . I think that you WANT to say "not only do we make an excellent cup of coffee"
    On the "studio" page . . . how high is the ceiling in the control rooms? And the sizes of the B rooms? Is Michael Blackmer any relation to DBX's Dave Blackmere (qepd)?
    On the "who are these people" page there's another "typo" . . . in Carolyn's 2nd paragraph it says "she’s does the paperwork" instead of "she does the paperwork" or "she’s the one who does the paperwork"
    On the "clients" page, "Leticia Wolf" is listed TWICE under "artists"

And I feel that the photo gallery is quite a bit hidden . . . don't be so shy . . .

By the way, where IS Joelton TN? N? E? S? or W? of Nashville . . .
    We might could do a mini GTG the next time I'm in Nashville . . .

16. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    Dave I love that you have the Lawson in the middle, I finally got mine and its is super, I got mine in nickel though...

site looks nice and clean -G

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Hey Dave, it looks great! I gotta run but I'll check it out in more detail soon :)

18. That's not nit-picky - that's the sort of thing that I missed; corrections have been made. Thanks!

I'm not sure where I could put the photo gallerys other than where they are; I was considering adding another one that has more photos of the studio itself. On another forum, it was suggested that folks want to be able to see the spaces in more detail...

Michael Blackmer is David Blackmer's son. The last time I saw them, David and Eric (Michael's other son) were had a company doing studio design and building. And Joelton is a small community/suburb that's north-west of downtown Nashville.

19. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I think the photos you have are pretty good. You could keep the same kind of layout and have the pics pop-up hi-res when you mouseover on them or something like that. If you're adding another gallery, I would take some more "action" shots, like a nice full frame shot with a drumkit setup and mic'd all fancy, maybe just a general shot of something impressive being recorded. Maybe a wide angle shot from the end of the grand piano, I dunno. Like on the services page you have a nice pic with some guys recording, I would put similiar stuff like that up (maybe a variety of clientele, no offense but those guys look a little tired :). It might not hurt to have a professional photographer take some shots. If I had the kind of gear/setup you've got, I would want to present it in the best light possible! Make those eyes pop!

Good luck

20. Thanks for the suggestions; someone else asked about having hi-res photos pop up when clicked; I'm trying to figure out a way to do that with iWeb, but it might be that I'll have to go back into the site (or have someone else go back into the site) with Dreamweaver to do that.

Though I have some 'action' shots with the Nashville String machine and the Titan Hot 7 (a trad jazz band), it's a lot more common that if the band is playing, we're recording...

And no offense was taken about the 'tired guys' shot; those guys are bassist Bob Babbitt and the legendary guitarist Reggie Young (David Hungate was in the iso booth and Ed Greene is behind the drums, so they weren't in this picture). One of the artists for that session brought a cool old Russion panoramic camera to the studio, and that's one of the shots that he took. I liked the look of the extreme wide angle so I added it to the site...