Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Studio

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by greenbassfreak, Dec 4, 2004.

1. I just moved to Rome, Italy and I am turning my garage into studio. I was wondering what kind of recording equipment I want. Im not looking for anything really fancy because Im not recording 100s of full length cds just my band and friends probably. Also if you have any other tips that would be great.

2. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    do it on pc if you already have one, it will be cheap and effective.
    you can get something like adobe audition for mixing and multitrack recording (around $200us) and then get something like the delta omni ($200 soundcard) for all of your inputs and outputs. if you have the computer already, your only looking at a few hundred bucks, then all you need is some mics.

3. Ill look into that. Im going back to the states sometime I think, so Ill look around there for some programs, its alot cheaper there. Also I was wondering if I record on my computer the one that is my own is really old and is a pentium 2 and only has windows 98 will that be ok or should I use my parents other one?

4. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    processing power is nice for when you go to do any type of waveform analysis, effects, compression.... windows 98 would probably be fine. i used to run cubasis on a pentium2, and i noticed any time i was trying to playback a mix with more then 12 tracks at one time, it would hang up, slow down, skip around, sound scratchy.
    if your not going to have more then 12 tracks of layering, then i think you'd be alright with a pentium2.