1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New SVT issue

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, May 11, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    :crying: I really hate posting this .
    The SVT CL I just got sounds great when you first turn it on but then after say 1 1/2 hours it starts making these scratchy ,staticy noises through both cabinets.Sort of like a loose speaker connection kind of noise.It's not constant but very frequently.This is with the standyby on and the amp is just sitting there not playing.It's not real loud but seems to be relitive to the amps volume.
    I have a Ampeg 410he and a Ampeg 1015he.I have turned both of the horns off and I'm using speakon cables on both cabs. I'm daisy chaining the 1015 off of the 410.
    Any ideas?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like it needs to be taken into a tech. My Mesa 400+ did something similar when I first got it; it played fine for a few minutes then it went staticy. I sounds like you need a cap job, but I would let a tech determine whats wrong.

3. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    A cap job?
    it's a 2004 model.
    You really thing so?

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Make sure all the tubes are firmly seated. It's possible as the amp heats up, some of the contacts aren't quite staying as tight as they should and you're getting an intermittant crackling.

I'm sure that a few others will pop up to give you some other suggestions.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    It could just be a marginal preamp tube too...there are a lot of them & it just takes one bad character...:eyebrow:

6. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Very sad indeed. On an up note, a fellow tb'er is hooking me up with an svt classic :bassist: :bassist:

7. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I am guessing its the tubes. One of my rehersal studios had really shoddy power and I burned through a set of power tubes pretty fast. It was years ago, but I seem to recall similar symptoms as yours.

8. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Well the tube susgestion does make me feel better.
    I hope thats all it is because I love the tone -headroom-bottom-punch and everything about it-----except this.

9. DaveMcLain

DaveMcLain

Jun 19, 2005
    Cuba MO
    I think I would take a look at the tubes first, it's the easiest thing to do and also the most likely source of the problem. I think I would try unplugging and repluging each preamp tube a couple of times as a first step.

10. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Good for you Joe.
    I hope you have better luck than me.You will love that boat anchor.It'll be the last amp you ever buy.This pig I have sounds great ,....for a while. I'll get it together.

On a side note,3 of the preamp tubes are accessable from the rear of the head.Where are the other 2 and how do you get to them?

11. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    There are a bunch of them mounted at an angle up high behind the tone controls - you access them by taking the front cover off.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I'll go with tubes as the first guess also. It is the simplest possibility, although an hour plus is a bit longer time than I'd necessarily suspect for a tube problem thermal delay......

As far as the other two tubes, they are indeed up in the preamp portion. What you see on the lower chassis is driver tubes.

But this is a CL. Therefore, you have to remove the preamp chassis to get at them.

If you do that yourself, do the usual, unplug and be sure voltages have plenty time to discharge since the last time it was powered up before sticking fingers in. We don't recommend that end users etc, etc............

The good news is that since that is a 2004, if you got the store receipt with it, it is under warranty with no hassles. So if there IS anything other than tubes, it should be a warranty repair.

13. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    I think I have it.
    When I pull the pre amp out to check tubes I found 6 pin(I think) white connector that was not seated all the way.
    Don't ya miss ptp wireing?
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

14. not really, and seeing the original SVT was mainly PCB, i dont think it matter too much :p

15. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Well I've had it on all night and no funky sounds.
    I'll sleep better tonight.

16. sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    If anyones interested here's the offending connector that caused all my worries. View attachment 34632
    Right in the center of the picture with the brown wires and yellow wires.
    Sucker was not seated all the way.It's been rock solid since.